Anyone Use A Van Staal Lefthanded Spinning Reel?

Florida Sportsman

Anyone Use A Van Staal Lefthanded Spinning Reel?

I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.
    What I'm wondering is this: When you hold your lefthanded Van Staal (no bail, manual pickup model), pointing away from you (like you're fishing), and turn the handle, does line pickup rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Most reels I own allow the handle to be changed to "left-handed", they turn counter-clockwise reeled with left hand, reel face down; and clockwise right handed.

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

The A left handed Accurate Twin Spin SR 12 is the only left handed reel I know of that spins counter clockwise.They use to be available upon request (might wanna check that out) the link has a picture of one.In order for rotor to spin counter clockwise the line pick up has to facing the opposite way.
    Last edited by johnD; 03-16-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo

I'm pretty sure that the rotor on left-handed (i.e. right hand retrieve) Van Staals rotates the opposite direction from those with left-hand retrieve. See the photo in this link:
    http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/van-s...ind-reels.html

Hey, thanks for the quick replies!
    The more internet searching I do, the more confused I get!
    For instance, the photo on the Van Staal homepage shows a left-handed spinning reel with the words "Van Staal" appearing backwards on the reel stem. I don't know what to make of that! Is the photo really that of a right-handed reel reversed?
    On the Accurate webpage, I see no mention of "Left-Handed" when describing the SR-12.
    However, I was surprised to see any spinning reel priced more than a Van Staal!
    Apparently, you can make any photo appear "left-handed" digitally.
    I've been using a Mitchell 307 since I was 14 years old in 1965.
    Oh well, maybe there really is nothing to upgrade to for a left-handed spin fisherman these days.
    The world's most neglected minority group!

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Hey, thanks for the quick replies!
    The more internet searching I do, the more confused I get!
    For instance, the photo on the Van Staal homepage shows a left-handed spinning reel with the words "Van Staal" appearing backwards on the reel stem. I don't know what to make of that! Is the photo really that of a right-handed reel reversed?
    On the Accurate webpage, I see no mention of "Left-Handed" when describing the SR-12.
    However, I was surprised to see any spinning reel priced more than a Van Staal!
    Apparently, you can make any photo appear "left-handed" digitally.
    I've been using a Mitchell 307 since I was 14 years old in 1965.
    Oh well, maybe there really is nothing to upgrade to for a left-handed spin fisherman these days.
    The world's most neglected minority group!
    I would try calling the manufactures direct and speak with somebody other than a receptionist.
    You could also try calling charkbait.com they sell a lot of those high dollar reels.

The photo in the link i posted showed an opposite-direction rotor, and the words "Van Staal" were not reversed. I suppose someone could Photoshop that, but I am 99% sure the rotor goes the opposite way on their lefty reels compared to the righty reels. If you look at a schematic, you can see that the main gear spindle does not go all the way through the body of the reel. It stops in the middle. Assuming that concept is the same in their lefty reels, the rotation would have to be in the opposite direction. Either that, or their lefty reel is a completely different design than the righty, which seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanC View Post
    I am 99% sure the rotor goes the opposite way on their lefty reels compared to the righty reels.
    They do.