Mosquito Lagoon Monday 3/12

Florida Sportsman

Mosquito Lagoon Monday 3/12

My wife Toni & I went out on Monday morning 3/12 with Capt Randy Kraft of Tug of War Charters. We went onto Mosquito Lagoon & we had a great time. It was a very windy day, the water was a little muddy, maybe not ideal conditions but we got a nice black drum, which fed us for 2 nights at the campground, & a little later Toni got a 42" red! She started to hyperventilate, asked for help, said she couldn't do it, made some strange noises & finally, pulled it in! She was shaking for a good 10 minutes after that. We're both new to this & those were the biggest fish either of us has caught. We also had a couple cats, a couple blues & had a smaller red break off at the boat, but we thoroughly enjoyed Randy & the charter experience. We are definitely going to charter again & definitely going to use Tug of War again. I googled Randy after seeing his name in another post on this forum & found that he has a website & FB page.

On Tuesday we went out in our kayak south of the Haulover canal. Had a gator swim by, saw horseshoe crabs, caught more cats & a bunch of small trout & saw manatees in the Bair Cove.The coolest thing though was watching a couple porpoises feed all around us while we paddled through the canal. Swirling, diving, rolling & herding baitfish & losing 1 or 2 to an opportunistic pelican. Very cool. Our 3 day camping/fishing/kayaking trip went by way too fast!

-Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steve's black drum.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	24328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toni's redfish.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	24329

Very cool!
    DUDE!

Awesome, sounds like you guys had a great camping trip and each caught a very nice fish those dolphin are wild when they get going

Got to love watching those dolphin rip up those bait fish. Was recording them one day and when I got home and watched it you could see a dolphin and pelican colide going after the same fish. Nice job on the big red too!