Concealed carry in Florida state parks

Florida Sportsman

Concealed carry in Florida state parks

Is it legal for someone with a CWP to carry in our state parks? I know the Van Fleet bike trail, which is offically a Florida state park, still has the signs disallowing firearms, but I vaguely recall it now being legal. Doing a Google search brings up all kinds of conflicting information,

Yes. Call up the land manger and advise them they are in violation of 790.33Fs, they know about HB45...

I called St. Andrews state park about two weeks ago with this question. After a little bit of reluctance to answer, the person I spoke to admitted that it was legal not only for concealed carry, but also for the standard Florida firearm laws to apply. That means in your vehicle or on your boat and not readily accessible. The two step rule applies with the second step being gun in hand. A lot of people misinterpret the two step rule and think it means like in your glove compartment and also in a case or snapped holster. In fact a LEO told me that in a cigar box with the cigar box sitting on the passenger seat satisfied the two step requirement and that thats how he carried his weapon when off duty and he felt the need.

FLCoyote

There is no such thing as the "two step rule" and I wish everyone would quit spreading misinformation about it!

Quote Originally Posted by FLCoyote View Post
    I called St. Andrews state park about two weeks ago with this question. After a little bit of reluctance to answer, the person I spoke to admitted that it was legal not only for concealed carry, but also for the standard Florida firearm laws to apply. That means in your vehicle or on your boat and not readily accessible. The two step rule applies with the second step being gun in hand. A lot of people misinterpret the two step rule and think it means like in your glove compartment and also in a case or snapped holster. In fact a LEO told me that in a cigar box with the cigar box sitting on the passenger seat satisfied the two step requirement and that thats how he carried his weapon when off duty and he felt the need.

FLCoyote
    The term is securely encased. No 2 step 3 step bs. It can be snapped in a holster, zipped in a gun rug under your seat, or tucked into your glove compartment( or arm rest as well for that matter.)

And fyi, your allowed to oc in state parks while hiking or camping, as well as while fishing. Oc is also allowed at your place of business as well as concealed carry without a permit at your place of business pending company policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    There is no such thing as the "two step rule" and I wish everyone would quit spreading misinformation about it!
    Okay Jim311, I agree that there really isn't a two step rule or at least its not stated as such, however I think that the further explanation I offered in my post cleared up any confusion. The explanation I've heard from LEO's is that if you can just pick the weapon up and its ready to fire then you are in violation of the law. I believe an NFL player was arrested in Miami about six months ago and one of the things he was charge with was having an accessible firearm in his center console. The charge was later dropped as he was in fact in compliance with the law. All of that said what did you think of my reference to an LEO telling me that in a cigar box sitting on the passenger seat would be in compliance?

FLCoyote

Quote Originally Posted by Egreen cobra View Post
    Yes. Call up the land manger and advise them they are in violation of 790.33Fs, they know about HB45...
    and FS 790.25(h).......