Yamaha 200 HPDI Reliability for the long term?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yamaha 200 HPDI Reliability for the long term?

thinking of buying a 200 hpdi with 850 hours. i know these were some of the best engines ever produced. how many hours are you guys getting from your motors without any major problems?
    thx
    jeff

200s sure are supposed to beat he 300and 250HPDIs but I have over 1500hrs on one and over 500hrs on the other.. The low hours weren't even Yamaha's fault the previous owner got bulk oil with water in it and melted them motor. Insurance paid.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

thx for ur response. any others out there that would like to chime in? don't be shy :-) i have seen a ton of the yamaha 200 hpdi's out on the water. i have owned two sets in the past, only for a few years each, and never had any problems.

I have a pair of 2005's with nearly 700 hours. I have not had any issues except one instance but that was a costly one. I had to replace a powerhead 2 years ago. From all the yamaha mechanics and dealers that I have spoken to they were surprised that this happened with the 200hp HPDI. Since the powerhead was replaced no issues and feel that it was just an unlucky & rare issue with these engines.

I don't know of a single owner of Hpdi's in any horsepower that hasn't had one or both power heads replaced..

who do you know with 200s? My slip neighbor in that filthy catamaran has original powerheads. He's put fuel pumps and fuel management gauges on. I'll bet he has at least 1500hrs.
    Mine was from water in the oil that was put in. 4 strokes would die as well.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTater View Post
    who do you know with 200s? My slip neighbor in that filthy catamaran has original powerheads. He's put fuel pumps and fuel management gauges on. I'll bet he has at least 1500hrs.
    Mine was from water in the oil that was put in. 4 strokes would die as well.
    Square Grouper 200's 1 blown power head..Carribean Cowboy 250's 2 blown power heads..including you 2 on this thread..Just about every boat sold with them says in the description "Replaced powerhead"...

I have a 2002 HPDI. I have done all the maintenance on it myself, which is just the basics. I do not go out too often. Sometimes the boat sits for 6 months. I'll put the boat in, prime the bulb, and she starts right away everytime. No problems, very good motor. I keep fresh fuel filters and only use Rec gas.
    Member #1125

Quote Originally Posted by GT Fish View Post
    I don't know of a single owner of Hpdi's in any horsepower that hasn't had one or both power heads replaced..
    I have 2x 2003 200 HPDIs that have been absolutely trouble free - over 1300 hours on each one. I know several other people with HPDIs that have had similar experiences - i.e. no powerhead replacements. All the maintenance I have done is LP fuel pump replacements, oil pump replacement and regular maintenance ( LU oil, filters etc.).

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edk View Post
    I have 2x 2003 200 HPDIs that have been absolutely trouble free - over 1300 hours on each one. I know several other people with HPDIs that have had similar experiences - i.e. no powerhead replacements. All the maintenance I have done is LP fuel pump replacements, oil pump replacement and regular maintenance ( LU oil, filters etc.).

Ed
    Yeah ,but I don't know you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast