Ask and ye shall recieve...... recent cobia action!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ask and ye shall recieve...... recent cobia action!

Lately there have been quite a few inquiries about the cobia bite, so here ya go!

Last year I met a customer that was obviously into cobia fishing. Every conversation we had, instantly gravitated towards that specail fish that we both love so much. A friendship was forged and we went cobia fishing, and had a great time. He called me again a couple weeks ago to do some more work, and once again we were talking about cobia. He then invited me on a trip with some good friends of his, that were also into cobia big time. We made the trip south, and instantly I knew upon meeting them that these guys were as serious as they get! Custom, west coast style cobia rods with Vann Staal reels and mono filled the rod holders. The captains hand tied jigs confirmed to me that he was really serious about his cobia fishing! I later learned that Captain Eric is one of the best, though he would never say that, and has won several cobia tournies. I soaked up every bit of knowledge the Captain and Mack had to offer, and we had an absolute blast!

This trip was truely EPIC, at least in my opinion, and was the best day of cobia fishing I've ever had. We caught 17 fish over 25lbs! We released all except for 4 big ones, in the 40lb class.

Here is a little video I made that day. I had better footage from a go-pro, but dropped it overboard!

Please dont report my cobia beating to peta.... it knocks 'em out so they dont destroy the fish box. You'll notice we netted all the fish, rather than gaffing, because Eric has won a cobia tourney by only one ounce. We only clubbed the four fish we kept.

Hope you enjoy! 17 brown clowns in one day!

Incase you cant view the video, we caught like 7 fish this size, with many more just a bit smaller-

That trip was incredible, and I thought it was going to be like that the next trip, but this wasnt the case. The cobia fishing has been real hit and miss so far this year. I went again last week, but we only saw one fish, and lost him at the boat. That day every other boat we talked to also zeroed, including the great Captain Eric who also fished that day.

There has been quite a bit of success by our boys so far though, and one day, four of our local boats caravaned down to find some good fishing......

Slug-O, the craziest cobia guy around here, has us all beat so far this year with his 55lber he caught on his jet ski! Yeah, thats right, a friggin' jet ski! He does pretty well on this rig.... you'll see its decked out with a custom cooler and rod holders, and we even installed a gps/sounder combo and stereo system on this rig......
    Hopefully he will add a better image-

Here is a great video he took of the battle!-

Nate had some good luck, and caught 7.

They also came upon a giant school of huge reds, and got 5 on at the same time and was able to land them all. Jeffery Crabtree was also near by in his boat, and he and his friend got two on at the same time as well.

Jeffery kept two that day, including this stud-

So there has been some fish caught, but they seem to be there one day and gone the next. Ive been keeping close tabs with a local to stay informed, and continue to watch the weather for that oppurtunity to pounce.

All fish have been free swimmers, with a few lucky wolf packs found in bait pods. No rays have been spotted so far this year that I know of, but its just a matter of time. All of these fish were taken on squid tipped jigs, but the fish do seem to be more finicky than usual this year, and we have seen several that wouldnt even eat a live pin fish. Townsend went out and bought a crossbow to solve this problem, and we cant wait to test that bad boy out. Ill post as soon as we get the thing bloody!

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed. I know there will be a few folks upset that I reported about this fish that makes people go completely insane, but hope that most of you will appreciate the info. Its no secret at this point, and the last time I went there was boats everywhere, even though it was a crappy day with 8' swells. That day last week we only saw one fish at the cleaning tables, so like I said it seems to be hit and miss still. Only one way to see if they are there!

Untill next trip, tight lines my friends!
    Last edited by Boattronics; 03-12-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Sweet!

Great report Tony. Going to be in Sebastian all next week on spring break with kids so hope we can find a few! Good luck

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!
    Way to go Tony, Captain & Crew. Looks like a great time.

So at this point I'm assuming that there's not going to be a cobia tournament this year?

I just work up from yesterdays day of Hell work........Yes the Cobia are in south florida and it only takes a good drive to find them. I took a day off from work last week to get on them. As you can see....you dont need a big boat to catch BIG COBIA!!!!! 54.35lbs......]

Last edited by Slug-O; 03-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.

I cannot believe that TONY has let the cat out of the bag!! LOL Honestly, it is no secret if you go one of the south forums, the same information (minus tony) is there.

Leon and Tony did well and I am waiting for a break in the wind and Danny engle and I will be heading south to test the cobia tower out on the Key West!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGUY View Post
    Sweet!
    Thanks.... that first trip was definately sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMenace View Post
    Great report Tony. Going to be in Sebastian all next week on spring break with kids so hope we can find a few! Good luck
    Thanks Dennis! Im sure you guys will find them, live by your sst chart! Good luck to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxAngler View Post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Afishy1 View Post
    Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!
    Way to go Tony, Captain & Crew. Looks like a great time.
    Thank you very much Mark, cobia fishing is definately my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brian View Post
    So at this point I'm assuming that there's not going to be a cobia tournament this year?
    You know what they say about assumption Brian, lol.... yes we are still doing a tourney. We have been very busy, and not in any rush since the cobia are still weeks away from our local waters. We arent concerned with getting a ton of entrants, so we havnt been rushing it. However, things are legalized now and should be finished up with entry forms availible in a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug-O View Post
    I just work up from yesterdays day of Hell work........Yes the Cobia are in south florida and it only takes a good drive to find them. I took a day off from work last week to get on them. As you can see....you dont need a big boat to catch BIG COBIA!!!!! 54.35lbs......]

Quote Originally Posted by knotenough View Post
    I cannot believe that TONY has let the cat out of the bag!! LOL Honestly, it is no secret if you go one of the south forums, the same information (minus tony) is there.

Leon and Tony did well and I am waiting for a break in the wind and Danny engle and I will be heading south to test the cobia tower out on the Key West!!
    LOL, yeah, they have been there for weeks and its definately no secret!

I know there are many newbies here, that want to get some tips on how they might score some cobia when they get here. There was a guy who did a fantastic write up on cobia fishing in the East section, Im gonna ask him if he wants to paste the article here for all of our folks looking for tips........ stay tuned.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

17 IN A DAY AWESOME!! TONY Congrats to Leon for that 55lber on THE SKI WOW!!! and that was a great day out with Nate and the redfish school was unbelievable! One of those site you will never forget. Their are many good trips to come.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast