3-10-2012 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

3-10-2012 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Taking Cal out today. The plan is to try and catch some Bonita then try our luck for some Cobia. We bought some bait at the ramp. Had to wake him up as it was 5ish… Took our time exiting in darkness with all the dredging going on. Made it through the SLI and headed south and loaded up on some greenies, blue runners and a lone sardine.

Once the sun came out we switched over and started trolling the daisy chains for some Bonita’s. When you don’t want them, they are always on the hook. When you want one you can’t find any. Tried dropping some livey’s down on the barge at Bullshark with no luck as well.

Opted to just run to the Cobia spot and use some chunk bait and menhaden oil. Anchored up and put out some runners and greenies. It didn’t take long for the first rod to go off… Cal catches a just short Cobia that had to go back to grow a few more inches.

The bottom rod goes off and I fight this fish for about 10 minutes before he came unglued.

Had these guys circling over us most of the morning. No doubt keeping an eye on the large Bull Sharks that were swimming around us. We had a Turn swoop down and crabbed a dead bait we tossed over and one of these Frigets dive bombed him and forced him to drop the bait. It was a cool site to see for sure...

Cal was having problems with his blue runner wanting to swim back to the boat so I handed him a Instant Downrigger. See fishing tip for further explanation. He drops in his bait and in minutes was hooked up to a good size Cobia. This thing made a run around the boat and took off across the surface throwing a wake.

As I was reaching for the camera again Cal screams out “LARGE BULLSHARK ON HIS TAIL” . Quickly grabbed the gaff and by now the cobia was up under our boat trying to hide from the 10ft Bullshark. He ended up wrapping himself around another line and the chum bag. Cal was in position so I handed him the gaff and we both had to pull this one over the transom.

Got a shout out from Vindawg who was out in 190ft with nothing biting. We opted to just stay put seeing that the action was good where we were at.

Next up were a group of Cuda’s circling around looking for a hand out. We finally picked one up with a greenie and hung him bleeding off the back corner.

Here comes the sharks. We picked up 3 more Cobia but all were short. Then a MASSIVE Hammerhead showed up and wanted to take a bite out of our cuda. The head on this Hammerhead was 30" wide without exaggeration. He was well over 500lbs. Biggest Hammerhead we have ever seen. He made those 8-10ft Bullsharks look like babys. When he came up to the boat, the Bullsharks would shy away.

Click these next two pictures to see a Video of this massive Hammerhead.

See the underwater Go-Pro videos of the Hammerhead towards the end of this report.

Here is Jim who works at Florida Sportsman who pulled up next to us to say hello.

Every time we poked and sliced our cuda for some more blood chum, within seconds he was right back circling the boat. This fish was not afraid of the boat. He came right to the cuda and tried to take bites out of him a few times. I dropped in the Go-Pro and got some cool under water shots.

It got to the point that one of us had to be on the lookout while the other diced up the cuda. I helped with the blood chum when I scraped my finger on the cudas teeth and started bleeding. You wouldn’t think a dead fish could hurt you. Think again…

Cals baby Cobia that was hanging out with this Hammerhead.

While I was putting away some rigs and Cal was doing something the Hammerhead came back and nailed the Cuda. He crabbed the 3ft cuda along with a portion of my bungee cord and disappeared off into the distance. This is what was left of my bungee cord.

The seas were kicking up pretty good now. Right as Windfinder predicated. We called over to Jim to tell him to pull up anchor and come along side and we will give you the rest of our baits. After a successful pass of the bucket and landing it full of bait back on his gaff, it was off to the ramps to clean our large Cobia so we could split the meat. How did you guys make out with the baits Jim?

Back at the docks Cal's catch weighed in at 33 pounds. Great job hooking and gaffing this beast Cal.

GO-PRO UNDERWATER VIDEOS:

One of the Cobia caught today - Click picture below to see the video:

Click the (2) pictures below to see the underwater footage of the Hammerhead Videos.

How did you all do today?

It sure was awesome getting back out there after 5 weeks of bad weather...

Today’s Tally:
    5 Cobia - 1 Keeper
    1 Cuda (chum)
    1 Remora - Yep, that one was mine.
    And a bunch of visiting Bullsharks along with a MASSIVE Hammerhead.

Cal is walking in the "Walk to Cure Diabetes" for the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) which takes place on April 14th, 2012. If you would like to donate to this great cause, please click the link below. Thank You.

http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?px=1205...nal&fr_id=1656

Today’s Tip:

Pick yourself up a couple of Instant Downriggers. They are very handy and simple to use. (Thank You Ocean Motion for turning me on to these, they are awesome). You simply clip it on your line at any distance from your bait you want. It has a swivel that snaps around your line and a rubber plunger that grabs your line to keep it in place.

Here is a link to their website. Well worth the mulla.

http://www.redirig.com/InstantDownriggers-2.aspx

Random Pics from the day:

My son Tyler decided to cook up some Cobia for his dad for dinner tonight and made up some awesome seasoned bread crumbed fish sandwiches.

Last edited by Alwaysforward; 03-11-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Jeff, great report and pics (as always)! Great to see you're back at it. Must have been fun when Hammertime first showed up.

Nice cobe and report Jeff

Get the Latest Checked~Out Videos: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...er=thepaulboat

Nice report. Those are some nice shots of the hammerhead. Nice Cobia also

Jeff good to see you out on the water and catching fish. How is your back? We will be out as soon as there is a break in the weather! Thanks for the report.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"

Nice work and a great report as always. Jim

Great report. I called for you yesterday could not get a clear response and later realized I forgot to raise my antenna.

Way to go Jeff and Cal!
    Glad to see you got out there with some good weather.
    Great report, pics and excellent looking dinner from the Alwaysforward team!

Good report and as usual, great pictures
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/OceanMotion200/Howie2.jpg

nice pics...did u catch that hammerhead or did he just swim up to the boat that close?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast