Hooked into a 5' blacktip today
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Hooked into a 5' (maybe blacktip?) Help please?

(edit see picture below) Is it a blacktip?

Was fishing on the Hobie Pro Angler that I rented out at Captavia Kayak today.

I caught a lady fish so I decided for the hell of it to cut the tail off and throw it in the dredged out part for boats between two flats. Hooked up with a blacktip within 20 minutes of having the bait out. Was fishing with a steel leader and 15lb braided. The bastard towed me all around the area for an hour and twenty minutes till the circle hook popped out. I was able to get him within 10' of the kayak 3-4 times. Too bad I have to go home now :(

Thought I'd share the story. I have some awful digital camera video footage that I will put up when I get home.. Too bad you only get a small glimpse of the shark :(

Brian
    Last edited by pelly21; 03-02-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Adding see below

I did about the same at causeway yesterday, hooked into a 4' blacktip with a catfish I caught, maybe 10 minutes after throwing in

Is this even a blacktip? I thought it was but now looking at some of the video I took it might not be. I never saw its head. Here is a still picture from the video. What do you think?

Shark.jpg

Pelly, Congrats on a great fight and fun hookup in a Kayak!!! I appreciate you sharing your story and pic. There's not enough of the shark showing to I.D. it, but based on location and the dorsal fin - the fish is most likely a Black Tip. A 5 foot BT is a really nice full sized BT. They may not be the largest shark in the ocean, but for their size the Black Tip is very athletic.

Nice fish!. Good job catching him out of a kayak. And any shark is fun to catch. From what I can see I'd say it is a blacktip too!!

Thanks guys.

Here is the video. I posted it in the main forum a couple days ago.
    I do swear in the video (I apologize) I was an hour into the fight and I was exhausted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m7dYu8dzgE

Congrats. A big BT will kick your butt as you now know.
    PS. I grew up not far from Naperville.

man i love that kayak.... and i swear like that too out there... lol i try not to when im video'n though. been catching alot of bonnetheads.. no blacktips