Ding Darling

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Ding Darling

Ding Darling

So after a month & half vacation in Brazil, today was my first day back on the water. A lot has changed since last year. We now have gin clear water and the temp has dropped dramatically. I decide to go check out my favorite paddling grounds Ding Darling. Canoe went in h2o right at 12 noon. Tides were about +1 and slowly slowly rising, not prime for my spot. First couple hours I just slowly poled around trying to spot fish. It was very slow, saw only a few small reds with lock jaw. So I decided to paddle out to the sound and push the flat near shallow mouth. There on the ''outside'' I had a couple good chances on reds but buffed the presentation. Next, decided to try my luck at some trout in deeper creek mouths. Landed 3 nice keepers. It started to get dark so I made my way back to the jeep. I was kinda disappointed with my rusty redfish skills, so I tied on a top water to give it one last shot before calling it a day. And On my last cast I was able to land a beautiful 26 inch redfish. That fish made my day! All and all it was more than I could ask for. Wonderful weather, gorgeous water and fresh dinner for the wife and I. Hope everyone else had a nice day today as well.

Question- I always see people fishing from shore or from the little bridges in Ding. Has anyone done any good from shore there? If anyone has any experiences please share. What types of fish?

One night last year I caught about 20 rat reds off the last little bridge on the wildlife drive at Ding Refuge

this time of year sheepshead are mostly what is caught on the little bridges. redfish and some snook also make a showing

One night last year I caught about 20 rat reds off the last little bridge on the wildlife drive at Ding Refuge
    That's a good spot, I've seen a lot of snook at that little bridge.

I fished the wildlife drive last night and didn't catch anything but my buddy caught 1 trout at the 2 or 3rd water control bridge. I'm gonna be working there all next week so I'll be fishing the drive every night. Maybe I'll see you guys there

Going to be visiting and want to try my luck fishing here with the little lady in two weeks. We plan on renting kayaks. Any areas we should target specifically?? She grew up in Brazil fishing, so as long as she is catching fish she is happy.....

If you want to bend some rods all day I would suggest finding any of the deeper creeks leading out to the bay. Fishing shrimp with a lil split shot ought to do very well for the sheepshead and trout. Prob. get a few reds with the shrimp as well. Good luck hope you guys find some fish

Quote Originally Posted by waterskunk View Post
    If you want to bend some rods all day I would suggest finding any of the deeper creeks leading out to the bay. Fishing shrimp with a lil split shot ought to do very well for the sheepshead and trout. Prob. get a few reds with the shrimp as well. Good luck hope you guys find some fish
    Thanks waterskunk for your help