First triple tail on fly

Florida Sportsman

First triple tail on fly

Went out Friday looking for Cobia out of Port Canaveral and burned way to much gas for nothing. Late in the day I ended up back near the end of the bouy line and spotted my first cobia. Down he went before I could even turn the boat. After a short while it's almost 4:00 and I see another one fired a jig long distance for fear they are getting spooky and it goes down after a quick look. Jeez this stnks.
    I see a bucket in the sparse weed line and it's holding a nice T-Tail. I flip a mullet strip over to it hoping to get a dinner anyway. No go!
    Ahhh! Let me pull out the 9wt with a jumbo shrimp I tied for cobia and see if it works. YES! Instant grab and game on. Really surprised me how quick it grabbed the shrimp over the mullet. Well I'm stoked with a 10 pounder and head home.
    I did take some pictures but a strange computer glitch wiped everything off my camera (new and old shots) while trying to transfer the shots.
    Here's the fly in my the middle of hand anyway. Took me a rediculous amount of time to tie it but hey it worked great and held togeather. Hope to get another chance to test it again tomorrow. And will again try to get AND post pictures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3063153.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	24853

Congrats... Honestly I have never caught a T-tale before, I've heard they fight pretty good and that they taste delicious. Once again congrats!!!
    My second (wife)... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).

Very nicely done. Hook size please?
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Got my first trip tail this weekend also. Funny our "trips" sound almost the same. Got mine on a stradic 3000 and 10lb braid; What a fight!! 12.2 lb and 8.8lb

hand picked shrimp was the bait

Thanks Guys!
    Dupont our trips may have been similar but hand tied shrimp is a bit different from hand picked. AND I will confess, if I had live shrimps I may not have tossed the fake. But since it worked so fantastic I doubt I'll waste money on livies again.

Luftwaffe, they are a strong fish and occasionally will jump. Not high or wild like a tarpon though. Also about as good eating as anything that swims.

Sparse, that hook was way too big for a triple tail fly. Actually meant for cobia. Gamakatsu SC15 5/0 but still performed nicely.
    Since it's blowing again I may tie up another one or two in the meantime.

I remember my first Trip. on fly. They are freakin mules. Gotta love them!

awesome, never caught a trip but I've eaten them and they are amazing. good work