MONIC or Manic?

Florida Sportsman

Thread: MONIC or Manic?

MONIC or Manic?

Recently I asked for comments on the new Monic lines. I finally got out to give one a try. I put one on a Gulfstream attached to my 12 wt Pro 1 and used it exclusively yesterday. To compensate for the clear line I used a 7" Black fly that I could easily follow on the retrieve. The bad news is I never saw a fish. The good news is I was able to follow the fly with no problems from these old eyes. The line just disappears in the water. It is definitely more stealthy than the cortland lines and there were no memory issues on an 80 degree day. I think the Wulff Btt is a better casting line, however I will maintain an open mind and just practice a little more to get used to the Monic. To sum it up I like this line and will see how it casts with the BVK 12 wt next time out. Thanks to ODC and others who offered guidance and good advice.

Awesome. I've had few lines lately that fell way short of my expectations, I'm glad to hear the monic is working out for you.

I was pleasantly surprised. I hated the old Monic lines. If it gives me the advantage it appears to give, I can use all the help I can get! I'm going to put a 1/0 Sand devil on it next time and see if my feelings change with a fly that is harder to see.

Quote Originally Posted by mtd885 View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised. I hated the old Monic lines. If it gives me the advantage it appears to give, I can use all the help I can get! I'm going to put a 1/0 Sand devil on it next time and see if my feelings change with a fly that is harder to see.

You get used to it. At first it's a distraction, but after a while you start keeping your eye on the target and let your instincts take over from there. The ridge tropical clear tip ain't so great. I gave it about 2 months of steady fishing to see if it grew on me, but no such luck. The running line is absolutely horrible, feels like rubber. I dig the cortland pe liquid, but the tapers are dramatically different going from the 9 to the 10wt.