??? What is efect of using to stiff of a butt section ?

Florida Sportsman

??? What is efect of using to stiff of a butt section ?

I could not get on the water today, so I went to Bass pro, and bought some Mason hard mono leader material. I have always just used 30# mono on my 7 weight, and 8 weight, and 50# mono, on my 9# or bigger. I bought 30#, and 40# Mason hard. This stuff is STIFF STIFF STIFF, what a pain in the rear, to tie a Nail knot with. What happens, if your butt section is to stiff ? I may not be able to get on the water, for a week or two, to find out.

It depends on how you use it. 40lb mason should be pretty easy to handle, 60lb is a nightmare (and it's the reason I've been using plain ol' ande for a long time). The stiffer butt section will help you turn over bigger flies, and give you a little extra kick on windy days. Umpqua actually manufactures a butt material, but I doubt there would be much benefit of using that over countless other products.
    http://www.umpqua.com/pc-1242-74-butt-material.aspx

I use a loop to loop system instead of the nail knot. No biggie tying a loop in 50# Mason. You can use braided loops or just double over the end of the fly line and put two small nail knots using 10# mono or mono thread to close the loop. You can coat the nail knots with Barge cement or the adhesive of your choice.

First, Thanks for the replys guys. However they did not anwser my ? I understand the need for a stiff butt section, and a nail Knot, only needs to be tied one time, or so a year so that does not bother me any. What happens to the cast, if the butt is to stiff ? I know to soft, and it may not turn over the fly, and increase wind Knots. The link ODC gave, shows for a 7 to 9 weight, to use .026 , and 10-12 weight .028 butts. I messured a piece of plane 50 # mono, at .030 the 30 # Mason at .030, and the 40 # Mason at .034 .
    below is from Umpqua link
    YARDS SIZE TEST PRODUCT CODE
    Butt Material (7-9 Wt.)
    10 .026 50 lb 58545
    Butt Material (10-12 Wt.)

10 .028 55 lb 58546

It may hinge a little at the connection to the line. I doubt you will notice it. Look out for those nail knots on the larger size outfits. The big ones will strip the coating off the line leaving you with just the core and your fly line will be tough to catch up with especially if it is a Tarpon!! Ask me how I know. Bummer watching a $70 fly line swim away...

Quote Originally Posted by mtd885 View Post
    It may hinge a little at the connection to the line. I doubt you will notice it. Look out for those nail knots on the larger size outfits. The big ones will strip the coating off the line leaving you with just the core and your fly line will be tough to catch up with especially if it is a Tarpon!! Ask me how I know. Bummer watching a $70 fly line swim away...
    I have often wondered how many times a fly line swims away. a bummer to say the least. I use light tippits, only 8#, for the 7, and 8 weight, and 14# for 9 weight and up, but point well taken.