Tarpon Reels?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarpon Reels?

Tarpon Reels?

Looking to purchase my first Tarpon reel. Im Drooling over the Nautilus Monster...But what other reels are you guys using for Tarpon?

Get the Monster!!!

I have the NV's on all my rods, and I WILL have a Monster before Tarpon Season

I was afraid you were going to say that. It just seems to be the perfect Tarpon Reel

Light - Check
    Lots of capacity - Check
    Fast retrieval - Check
    Durable - Check
    Great company and customer service - Check

Seems all needs are met with the the Monster

I like the Nautilus products, light good capacity etc. That being said my favorite it still my Tibor Gulfstream. I like the sound the drag makes.

Well dang, that was easy enough!
    I have two Nuatilus reels (not tarpon) Fw7 and just got an FWX 5/6.
    Caught a 42" redfish new years day on the FW7 and it performed flawlessly.
    Wouldn't expect anything less from a reel with the nickname "Monster" by Nautilus.
    Local boys too.

Oh! And you will post some pictures of the first Tarpons?

Absolutely I will. And I do love that they are local. Means alot to me. I have been waiting for an fwx 7/8 for almost a month now to get delivered to my local fly
    shop. I guess Nautilus has not been able to keep up with the demand for them. I wonder if that is going to be the case for the monster reels. Because if it is, Then I better go ahead and order one of those too!

There are a few reels that will stand up to the rigors of tarpon fishing:

Large Arbor w/ cork drag:
    Tibor
    Abel
    Islander

Large Arbor w/ composite drag:
    Nautilus
    Hatch
    Charleton/Mako
    Galvan

I'm sure that Lamson and Sage have reels that will get the job done, but I have not used their products, so no comment.

I have an Islander LX 4.5, Abel Super 12x and a Galvan T-12 that I use for tarpon. I bought everyone of them used, but in "like new" condition. Each was about 50% of the price of a new reel. This was the best way for me to go, seeing as I do not use the tarpon gear nearly as much as I use my 7-9wt. outfits.

Get the best reel you can afford and have a blast...

Most guys keep less than 6lbs of drag on their reels while fighting a tarpon of any size. Just something to keep in mind. Just make sure it's practical for the fishing you do. The Charlton Mako was mentioned, and the 9600B will run you just a few bucks more than a nautilus monster or a gulfstream, and in my opinion you'll be getting twice the reel. Be prepared to wait, I've heard it's taking them 3-6 months to deliver. There are literally dozens of other reels out there that were'nt mentioned that are more than adequate for tarpon. I use a C-vex, mostly because of the environment I'm targeting these fish in. I made the mistake of buying a henschel #4 about 3 years ago, and I have to spend close to an hour servicing it every time it takes a dunk. The Vanquish 12LT from waterworks would be another reel that I would consider to sit high above the Tibor or Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'DirtyCaster View Post
    Most guys keep less than 6lbs of drag on their reels while fighting a tarpon of any size. Just something to keep in mind. Just make sure it's practical for the fishing you do. The Charlton Mako was mentioned, and the 9600B will run you just a few bucks more than a nautilus monster or a gulfstream, and in my opinion you'll be getting twice the reel. Be prepared to wait, I've heard it's taking them 3-6 months to deliver. There are literally dozens of other reels out there that were'nt mentioned that are more than adequate for tarpon. I use a C-vex, mostly because of the environment I'm targeting these fish in. I made the mistake of buying a henschel #4 about 3 years ago, and I have to spend close to an hour servicing it every time it takes a dunk. The Vanquish 12LT from waterworks would be another reel that I would consider to sit high above the Tibor or Nautilus.
    The 9600B is $1190, the Tibor Gulfstream is $735 and the Naut Monster is $850.. In my book that constitutes a wee bit more than "just a few bucks"... Thousands of tarpon have been landed on Tibor reels alone without a hiccup... How is the Mako or the Vanquish twice the reel? I could care less about a sealed drag as I tend not to drag my reels through the sand or dunk them in the water for "money shot photos", especially when these reels cost a small fortune to begin with... I understand type 3 anodizing, but is it really necessary.

Have you lost numerous tarpon because your Tibor or Abel failed to perform? Have you found an inherent flaw with Tibor or Abel reels?

Look, I understand that that something comes out every year that is supposed to the greatest thing since sliced bread, but you can toss a Tibor in the water with its standard "non sealed" drag, pick it up and keep on fighting the fish with no loss of drag pressure, no chattering drag, nothing as long as you have a small amount positive drag setting on the reel... Ask me how I know... If the drag is backed all the way off and loose, you could have problems with the drag, but how many people toss flies at tarpon with the drag backed all the way off? None that I can think of..

Not trying to start a cow manure hurricane, but the facts are the facts.

P.S. I have no affiliation with any fly reel company. I'm a lumber wholesaler, but I'm fortunate to own and fish with Tibors, Abels, Islanders, Nautilus and Galvan fly reels for quite some time. In fact, if you want a great reel that does not have a huge following in Florida... Check out a Galvan T-12... You can pick one up for a song on Ebay occasionally...

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast