Outer Banks NC vacation

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outer Banks NC vacation

I am planning to go up to somewhere on the outerbanks this year versus the keys. Probably some time in June. Never been there before and looking for the best area to look for a house or condo to stay at. Taking the boat up there and want a place close to an inlet. Plan on fishing for dolphin and maybe tuna. Anyone have any insight?

I too have wanted to do this. I will keep an eye on this posting...

It's a great place to be that time of the year.
    We stayed near Kitty Hawk which is near Oregon Inlet. Lots of things to do around there. Nice if you take kids.
    We also stayed to the S in Buxton and Frisco. They are near Hatteras Inlet. A lot quieter then Kitty Hawk and great fishing. Hatteras Inlet is closer to where you want to fish for pelagics. The bigger the boat the better. I would say min 25' with twins to go offshore. You can also fish in the bay. Lots of trout.
    I also surf fished. Bring your 4 X 4. Drive on the beach. Saw a guy from KY catch a 96 Lb cobia from the surf.
    Spend a day in Okracoke.
    We rented large oceanfront stilt house on the beach. Contact Hatteras realty or go to their website to see what's available.
    Take me with you.
    Have fun.
    MikeG

Thanks Mike

Which inlet would you say is better to be near, Oregon or Hatteras. How far is the gulf stream from these inlets?

Google "Oregon Inlet Fishing Center" and visit those sites--lots of fishing info there.

We mostly stayed near Hatteras. I didn't have a boat and chartered. There are beautiful marinas as you head south from Buxton to Hatteras. Lots of charter boats of all sizes. Hatteras inlet is closer to the Gulf
    Stream then Oregon Inlet. Maybe 20 miles but it varies. There are lots of charter boats that go out of Oregon Inlet also. It's amazing to watch the boats head out of O I in the AM. The inlet can get rough and you can watch the 50 footers heading out.
    If you stay near Hatteras inlet it's an interesting ride from Jax. Drive to Morehead City. Then head N to Cedar Island. Take the ferry to Ocracoke. Drive about 25 miles N in Ocracoke to the ferry to Hatteras.
    It takes all day from here.
    Make sure you drive a 4 X 4 out to the Cape point. It's an unbelievable sight. The southern and northern currents come together right at the point.
    Mike

My brother goes there often and has a lot of local insight, if you're interested in talking to him PM me and I'll give you his contact info and you can email him for info, he would gladly answer any questions you may have. As far as lodging, I've had real good luck finding vacation rentals on Craig's List....

We decided to look for a place in Ocracoke. The harbor there is pretty close to the inlet, and reviews on the internet say Ocracoke is a little nicer than Hatteras. I guess all the tourist stuff is in Nags head area, but we do not care about t-shirt shops and such.

"The Butcher's Wife"
    She came from Ocracoke.
    It's an old movie.
    You can always take the ferry to Hatteras. It's a nice way to spend the day.
    Have fun.
    Mike

My whole family does a reunion there every 3 years. We normally stay in Rodanthe which has tons of nice houses for rent. I've trailered the boat there each time and we have fished out of both inlets. Hatteras is better for going deep and as long as you pick your days, it is not too bad. I have a 23' boat with twin engines. We've had good luck catching dolphin and wahoo during June/July but have mostly struck out on tuna. If you bring your own boat, do a search for GPS coordinates for the "steeples". Start in that area and you should do well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast