Bahia Grass overseed???

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bahia Grass overseed???

Any lawn care guys or anyone in the know out there? It seems like a good time to do yard work. I have a patchy yard of bahia and want to overseed it. There are a few bare sandy patches in the yard too. My questions are:

1. Do I need to aerate?
    2. Do I need to compost or fertilize before or after spreading seed or at all?
    3. Do I spread milorganite on top right after I seed?

I want to do it right and the reason I ask is because I went to 2 Home Depots and a Lowe's and they all gave me different answers.

Also, what do people think of the Scott's Argentine Bahia grass seed? I live in the West Central Florida area so I was told that the Argentine grass is better than the Pensacola seed for this area.

Thanks in advance.

Unless its pasture use just regular pensacola. Spread it 20 lbs per acre for overseeding.

Once broadcast spread, just rake in. Or use a drag harrow if on larger land.
    I wouldn't spread until we hit another wet spell.
    Worst thing for seedlings is for them to emerge then dry out.
    Bahia of most variety takes about 3O days for germination. Less in ideal moisture and warmer soil conditions

Argentine, tiff9, and riff quick are faster growing varieties. Not suitable for lawn use unless you like living on your lawn mower

Thanks h-n-l,
    Good idea about waiting til the next wet spell. Question on the Pensacola seed. I was told Pensacola is better for Northern Florida because it gets colder there and the Argentine is better for the St. Pete area because it tolerates the hotter and drier conditions we have. Do you think this is true or that it just doesn't matter?

Thanks

Argentine tolerates heat better but also grows faster. Pensacola tolerates heat, drought just fine and doesn't grow as fast as the other varieties. Most Bahia varieties are based off Pensacola.
    Stick with Pensacola and you will be just fine. It's good down to Everglades up to north georgia, Arizona to florida.

Hmmm...wonder why I didn't see your second post before I posted. That is great info, thanks. As much as I like doing yard work, it looks like Pensacola is the way to go.

Who ever is giving you your seed info needs his azz kicked.
    I know pasture owners here that curse the argentine because it grows too fast for them

What about fertilizing or compost? And should I use any milorgonite? All my info is coming from the local HD and Lowe's. That is why I wanted to ask here. I was sure someone would point me in the right direction.

After the grass is all up hit it with some nitrogen. Get a square bale of cheap hay and cover the bare spots you seeded with a little hay. Not too much just enough to keep the seed in place and retain a little moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by hooknline View Post
    Once broadcast spread, just rake in. Or use a drag harrow if on larger land.
    Get a square bale of cheap hay and cover the bare spots you seeded with a little hay. Not too much just enough to keep the seed in place and retain a little moisture.
    This.^

A little anecdotal info, not an expert...I have both Pensacola and Argentine bahia in the same pasture, in north central Fl. Pensacola on the higher, drier portion and Argentine in the lower, wetter section. (sometimes holds water after a rainy period)
    Both grasses put up seed heads in just a few days during the growing months, requiring frequent mowing. Argentine is a much thicker, heavier bladed grass...I would think it would make a better yard grass. One disadvantage of Argentine, it is less cold tolerant. Cold doesn't kill it, but it will brown up at the first frost and generally stay brown until spring...sometimes just a few nights in the 40's will cause it to turn brown. Plus, Argentine seed is more expensive than Pensacola.

The better germination will be in late spring, early summer...when the nights are warmer. So, I'd wait until middle to late May, early June. You can determine the proper fertilization needs for Bahia by looking online. Milorganite is pretty pricey.
    (Fertilizer run-off is a big problem for our water resources, I'd use organic if possible and even then, very sparingly.) One good thing about the Bahias, once established they don't need much water. Our pasture is watered only when Mother Nature sees fit.

One more thing, which doesn't really apply to a yard, unless your've got mini's (horses)...at the time we seeded our pasture, UF was doing research that indicated the seed heads of Argentine could cause pregnant mares to abort. I don't know if that still stands.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=344&dateline=13073685  84

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast