OFFSHORE SEBASTIAN - 7/1 AND 7/2- 2012 - FISHING AND DIVING

Florida Sportsman

OFFSHORE SEBASTIAN - 7/1 AND 7/2- 2012 - FISHING AND DIVING

Early start for us monday - Went to the bouy. Reeled up 3 small spanish sardines on the first drop, and a 30 pound cobia followed them up. The 2 greenhorns on board (will not mention names because they both will never fish again on my boat) were both standing next to the rod rigged with a fake eel did not know what an eel was. Anyway the cobia swam away, and we were back to catching bait. The greenhorns were catching bait, and I told him don't move the rod until my hands are clear. "OK" he said. The 3rd sardine were taken off - he moves and buries the @$#%$! hook in my finger. I was not a happy fisherman. 15 minutes the cobia shows up again, and we were ready. Mask, fins, snorkel, and the gun was already loaded laying on the deck - done deal on ice he went. While I was in the water about 15 huge, and I mean huge african pompano swam by me. I though about, but did't want to go for a ride with no tanks on. So we decided to try and catch one. We waited for them to come by again, and put a small sardine on a small owner hook. One sucked it up, and the fight was on. We got it to the boat - no way was it going to fit in the box, so we let the ugly thing go. Ended up getting 2 more, letting the greenhorns battle them. Then the one said to me " why don't you go in and shoot one of those". I had to tell him like it was - here is my gear, you go in and shoot one(along with some other choice words and phrase's). We stayed around the bouy for the rest of the day.
    Took home the cobia.
    Tuesday - Dave, and I only. Today we plan on diving only. Started out in 90ft. Decent viz. Both of us on the bottom at one time. We ended up with one red grouper, a couple of mangos, and triggers, and one slipper. Stayed on that spot caught our limit of seabass. Ran in to 40ft for our second dive - 3 foot of viz-screw this. Went back to the boat, and ran to the beach to finish out the day in close snorkeling around on the first and second reef just looking. Green water, but still could see good. Saw about 40 bugs, and said a prayer hoping they stay their for mini season - YEAH RIGHT.
    BE SAFE OUT THEIR.
    MY FINGER HURTS - DAMN GREENHORNS.

Still sounds like some good days on the water to me. You let some good eating fish go.

African Pompano go on my plate not back in the water. :-)

(of course I eat everything that goes into the fish box...waste not want not).
    Last edited by My Reel Job; 07-04-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Some people aren't brilliant!

If you can't keep em cold and the fish heat up to 90deg then what's the point in keeping them?

Quote Originally Posted by beachsideandy View Post
    If you can't keep em cold and the fish heat up to 90deg then what's the point in keeping them?
    Your right. I have 2 coleman 150 q coolers onboard, and no way were these bruts going to fit in them. I was not gonna kill and waste it or make an early day because its on the deck, and we gotta run back in. My neighbor gave me a big slab off one the day before, and I split it with Dave. With all the fish between the two of us, we have enough to last through winter. Going to have a hugh fish fry for the holiday, and that will knock our stock back a little. It don't bother us to throw some back, and let them live another day.

Quote Originally Posted by WWB View Post
    Your right. I have 2 coleman 150 q coolers onboard, and no way were these bruts going to fit in them. I was not gonna kill and waste it or make an early day because its on the deck, and we gotta run back in. My neighbor gave me a big slab off one the day before, and I split it with Dave. With all the fish between the two of us, we have enough to last through winter. Going to have a hugh fish fry for the holiday, and that will knock our stock back a little. It don't bother us to throw some back, and let them live another day.
    Totally with you man... I've seen too many people load up then throw fish away because they have no use for them, or don't feel like cleaning them at the end of the day. I only keep what I am going to eat within a relatively short time frame and I do vacu-seal filets for future use. Glad to see there are other anglers out there that are not only focused with filling the whole boat with meat. Nice catch.

Quote Originally Posted by WWB View Post
    It don't bother us to throw some back, and let them live another day.
    Finally, someone who's head isn't up their behind......
    Glad to see someone understands when " enough is... enough"...good job!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you