Cobia!!! St. Petersburg Fishing Report 3-6-12

Florida Sportsman

Cobia!!! St. Petersburg Fishing Report 3-6-12

Cobia have started to show up at the mouth of Tampa Bay to just inside the Skyway Bridge in decent numbers to where I think we are going to have a great cobia year. On back to back trips we were able to catch four while sight casting to them. Pinfish or scaled sardines under a popping cork is a deadly combo for these brown bombers. They fight great especially the second time after they see the boat. Look for these fish to be around reefs, bridge pilings channel markers and similar structure.My clients have been able to experience sight casting to these beasts while catching them on top water plugs and live bait. Here is Rich with his cobia caught on 10lb stealth braid on a 7'6" flats pole and his girlfriend Makell who caught hers on a 30lb outfit fishing a pinfish under a cork at the end of last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0894a.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	23437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0903a.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	23438

Redfish are schooled up in the usual places around Fort Desoto, Tierra Verde and the South Shore areas. Live baits like shrimp, scaled sardines and threadfins will all work but if they are being finicky or spooky use the same baits as cut bait along with cut up lady fish or pinfish which will cast further from the boat and give you an advantage.

Trout have been very consistent in the deeper water from 4-8 feet deep. Look for a good shell and grass bottom mix that is where I have been finding good quantities along with nice sized ones ranging from 17-22 inches. Scaled sardines and small threadfins have been the ticket with live shrimp and artificials also working.

Darra with a nice speckled trout.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0867a.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	23439

Capt. George Hastick fishes the St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay area. If you would like more information or would like to book a charter please contact him at:
    Capt. George Hastick
    "The Fish Hunter"
    Fishing Charters
    www.fishtampa.com
    727-525-1005

Great Report! That is awesome the cobia are showing up! I will be down there next week from Washington DC to do nothing but fish for 5 days straight.

Dave

Great news , thx for the report !

Sweet !!

Senior Member Lilcthefishslayer's Avatar
    You dog!!!! Nice fish!!!! Are you seeing any big-uns?

nice fish great report

Thanks for the report, I hope they move up the coast a little as I am heading to NPR this next week, can't wait to get down there!