Shellcracker ?

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Shellcracker ?

Shellcracker ?

Fished Lake Okeechobee for Shellcracker since I was a kid, but not in a long time. Used to go out of Harney Pond Canal and fish the Monkey box. Stayed at Caloosa Lodge and Big Bass Lodge both now closed. Anyone know of a place to stay and fish the Monkey Box or is there a better area to fish for Shellcrackers. Want to go in May of June.

Have you tried Roland martins marina?

Checked out and made reservations at Roland Martins Marina. Was told by a friend that RMM didn’t allow you to clean Bass so I called on Saturday and talked to a guy that told me the resort was a catch and release resort. When I told him I wanted to cancel my reservation he backed up big time telling me to call back and talk to the resort manager on Monday. I support catch and release and would not clean and eat a large Bass, but I believe that conservation does not mean releasing everything you catch. Taking a few smaller fish will result in the larger better access to a food source. I called and talked to a nice lady and was told that you could clean Bass at the resort, but most people don’t. I don’t need to stay somewhere where I will be viewed as doing something wrong if I choose to eat a few Bass. I cancelled my reservation and will go somewhere else. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Robert Arrington's family has a place on Okeechobee.

http://www.biglakelodge.org/

Looks interesting. Thanks for the response:full