best terminal knot for 60# mono...

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

best terminal knot for 60# mono...

Without getting into details of why... I need to know what you guys think THE best knot (in terms of breaking strength) is for tying a hook / swivel / lure to 60# mono.

Bimini and then an offhsore knot to someting is not an option. Needs to be one relatively low profile terminal knot.

Whatcha got?
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

San Diego Jam Knot

The following link will show you how its tied,

http://www.netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html

San Diego Jam Knot
    Not particularly well known outside of the sport fishing capital of San Diego this knot is an excellent choice for all line types: mono, fluorocarbon and braided. Originated as a quick and reliable way to tie the heavy “iron” jigs by the fishermen chasing tuna on the long range boats venturing into Mexican waters, it is fast and easy to tie. Make sure the knot is fully set by hooking the lure or jig to a fixed object and pulling hard. Just let the lure hang down while making the wraps. Then hook the lure to the rail of the boat (skippers hate this!) and pull it tight.

It is also now being used with braided lines and has become popular with fishermen going after Peacock Bass in South America with 30-50 pound test braids. Can be tied with confidence in braided line, monofilament and fluorocarbon line.

X2 on the San Diego Jam Knot
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Cool.

I typically have heavier than needed braid and mono and then just tie the two together using different knots... none of which are 100%, hence the need to step each up a notch.

Recently I spooled two reels with hollow core and spliced end loops for 60# wind-on leaders. With that connection now being both low profile and 100%, I was able to get by with 60 mono... but now it is imperative that I get every last bit of breaking strength out of the knot that I use to tie that wind-on to something. Much like the guys out west tying their wind-ons to heavy casting irons.

A pretty convincing nod for the SD Knot. Of course this article does not discuss different line weights.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...-fishing-knots

I use it on all my connections to all my terminal tackle in all size lines and have for over 40 years.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Uni/double uni works for me.

3 turn uni if bulkness of it is a factor, if not, 4 turn uni
    "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
    "An it harm none, do as ye will."
    "The mind is everything. What you think you become."

Quote Originally Posted by Miamipescador View Post
    Uni/double uni works for me.
    same here...no problem with heavier lb leader either...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast