3/8 trying new spots today...

Florida Sportsman

Senior Member ShallowExpectations's Avatar

3/8 trying new spots today...

Well wasn't planning on doing any fishing today since I will be picking up my camera man at the Palm Beach airport at midnight. Getting old you know? Fishing wears me out haha kidding. My buddy Brian sent me a text to go fishing for the afternoon with him. Says he wants to go hit something different than the normal spots that are known producers. Hate it when people twist your arm to do things you don't want to do. Figured these areas were going to be like just out of the norm more remote style areas. Wrong... first spot is is just the mangrove shoreline on the north east side of the stuart causeway. Oh well not what I was expecting, but I'm down to try anything once i suppose. I had my boots zipped up tight, my doa shrimp tied on right, I hope that a big fish wants to fight. Well, waded and waded, but not even a bite. There was like red grass/algae or something all over it was pretty nasty and I feel like it was kinda telling me this spot wasn't where I wanted to be. Had to keep wading and made it towards the Oceanographic Center's little dock thing. Started seeing less and less of that red grass/algae, and then it happened trout started coming from their elusive hiding spots. Nothing tiny and nothing huge...I believe they refer to that as average size.

Most of the culverts were not flowing, but sure enough found ONE that was. Big believer in a flowing culvert is a diamond mine. Sure enough working my way towards it I spook out two snook...rookie move. Get up towards the culvert to find there is one more snook sitting at the mouth and I skipped the shrimp right into the culvert. Pretty cocky with my accuracy of skipping, I have that feeling I am going to get that line sided SOB. I pop the shrimp right before him and see him raise up and grab ahold of that shiny shrimp. What do you know, I set the hook only to pull the bait right out of his mouth. I hope you guys can appreciate the fact that I am allowing you to know of this failure of mine. Went back to the causeway and there was a family using one of the largest siene nets I have ever seen. Had to be 30 feet long and my buddy whom wanted to go fishing so badly decided he was going to be friendly and somehow ended siening with the family. I went ahead and walked off to the that sea wall with all the nice rocks on it. Poppin a shrimp around those rocks just to pass time and wack a nice little gag grouper rocked me up. Finally got him to swim out and landed him. Not as clever as he thought he was.

Ended up getting some more jacks along that seawall before my buddy decided he was done siening with a random family. Maybe im just not social or something? Well next spot was some little park between jensen and stuart beaches. jumped back in the water. Was really great looking set of mangroves that I worked my *** off underneath their tangle of branches. The bottom was very mucky and just soft. Feel like I did something to my ankle trying to tear it out of the muck. I'm a complainer. Well this spot despite its great looking attributes did not produce anything besides one of the largest hermit crabs I have ever seen. I seriously think this could have been one of those coconut crabs hiding in a shell. Massive. Dont worry I took a photo for you guys to see as well as a thorny tree I considered throwing my friend in for making me wade in muck. I didnt throw him in because I am lazy of course. Well only a few more hours before I get to drive to the airport. LUCKY ME!

I'm promising you guys good photos the next two days now that my camera man is coming down. Anyone fishing that inshore tournment on Saturday being held by Joupdog. See ya on Saturday

I was going to fish it but work wont allow me off for this tournament and with the wind theyre calling for I dont think my boat can take another day like yesterday!!

love your descriptive reports

Great report, need some of those snook for Saturday!

great book lol i mean report.