Picking up a lot of grass

Florida Sportsman

Picking up a lot of grass

Hi all, Just got into fishing and I've been lurking here for about a month or so trying to pick up some tips and tricks. I've been successful in water 2'-3' deep, but any shallower than that I pick up a ton of grass. Do a lot of people fish weedless rigs? I've been primarily using 1/8 oz jighead with DOA CAL shad. I'd really like to catch a redfish or two. Went out Wed and scared away two of them. So, far I've only been able to get trout. Any other suggestions or help would also be greatly appreciated.

Owner makes a great twistlock hook that has a sliding 1/16 or 1/8 once weight and can be rigged weedless

Quote Originally Posted by FlatsNoob View Post
    Hi all, Just got into fishing and I've been lurking here for about a month or so trying to pick up some tips and tricks. I've been successful in water 2'-3' deep, but any shallower than that I pick up a ton of grass. Do a lot of people fish weedless rigs? I've been primarily using 1/8 oz jighead with DOA CAL shad. I'd really like to catch a redfish or two. Went out Wed and scared away two of them. So, far I've only been able to get trout. Any other suggestions or help would also be greatly appreciated.
    The type of jig head is important in shallow water...You need to use one that has the hook eye high and forward on the head and has a sloping forward part of the body so grass will slide off instead of wrapping around. Strike king makes an OK one with decent quality hooks.

Also, make sure you close your bail and start the retrieve a moment before it hits the water so it doesn't bury in first thing...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Thanks for the comments!

duckmanJR - I've been using the DOA jigheads. I stopped by Wally world on my way home from work and compared a couple. The DOA jigheads eye looked pretty close to the same positioning as the Strike King jigheads. I did notice some of the cheaper looking jigheads were further back on the head so I see what you mean. I'll try to be quicker on the bail and retrieve and see if that helps.

Alleni - Were you talking about the below hooks? I picked some of for next time I go out just in case I am still having an issue. Hopefully, this will at least give me a chance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OwnerTwistlock.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	23425

Those are the ones, may not completely eliminate your grass problem but would certainly help

Quote Originally Posted by FlatsNoob View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OwnerTwistlock.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	23425
    These are good for jerk baits like Zoom flukes et al....I rig them "texas style"
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

I fish super flukes, and prefer to fish them un weighted. A wide gapp 4/0 hooked weedless, works fine for me, in very shallow water. The only time I use a jig head, is in deeper water, over 4'.

https://sites.google.com/site/thejonboatadvantage/

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER D View Post
    I fish super flukes, and prefer to fish them un weighted. A wide gapp 4/0 hooked weedless, works fine for me, in very shallow water. The only time I use a jig head, is in deeper water, over 4'.

https://sites.google.com/site/thejonboatadvantage/
    I normally use a 1/32 oz bullet wt. pegged tight to the hook ( 5/0 Owner ) with a Zoom super fluke rigged Texas style .....but have used a Carolina rig before in deeper situations with great success.

Those Owner "twist lock" can be fished deeper....and for a real twist...use your pliers to break that weight loose and slide it up or down the hook shank depending on what you want the bait to do....it can be deadly.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Almost forgot...try a Gambler "flappin' shad" if you need more tail action....I've had good luck with them also...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll probably try the unweighted option at some point soon too. I've got some Zoom Super Flukes in my bag that I haven't had a ton of success with, but I probably need to give them more of a chance since it is probably me not them that isn't catching fish. Thanks again!