Little Help

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Little Help

Little Help

Hey guys we are looking to plan a tuna trip out of Palm Beach Inlet and was hoping for some help. The crew is all new to tuna fishing. We are heading over the first weekend in May ( I was told that was a good time for the tuna fishing) and was wondering where the best place to start the hunt is. We have fished alot in the keys for tuna, but I was told the Bahamas is a different game. We are not looking to go far, port lucaya, west end etc. Any help with bait, areas to work for tuna and dolphin, and a places to stay would be a HUGE help. We are heading over in a 27 Contender, and a group of guys so the accomodations do not heave to be steller, but price has to be cheap.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers,
    Jared

Lucaya is your best bet. Run 20-30 miles S - SE into the channel and look for birds. If you have radar its a big help. If you find a flock with frigates mixed in the yellowfins will be there. Obviously live baiting works well, but chunking and trolling will produce also. Cedar plugs, jet heads, and the smaller black barts (tuna xxx, el squid jr.) will work for you. The last couple hours before dark is prime time to be out there.

Thanks for the help.

Do you have recomendations for where to stay. I have found a few, sunrise, OBB, bmc, bootle, but didnt know if one stood out.