They are back. - Page 45

Florida Sportsman

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: They are back.

Quote Originally Posted by Typiclese View Post
    More than likely they are all at the PEW, EDF spammers workshop....training for another venue

Better be careful posting up all of those bluegills---NMFS might quota them as well....maybe yet another way for you to rape the public resource for profit....you should push for that....

PS - its RAPIER
    My bad, i'se usually purdy good bout my puncuation..

PS - They're MY bluegills.... Myself and a very small elite group of folks own them.
    This place rocks!
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    PS - They're MY bluegills.... Myself and a very small elite group of folks own them.

Art...If it helps you at all...you can have MY and my wife's bluegills.

Rob
    Largest Private Charter Vessel in the Lower Keys
    www.easyridercharterskeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Got TA Go View Post

Art...If it helps you at all...you can have MY and my wife's bluegills.

Rob
    Not sure how to take that..... but I got a chuckle out of it.
    This place rocks!
    Now

Letter: It's time to rethink Florida's gill-net ban to boost economy, quality of fish

TCPalmNews»
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4 a.m.
    .DiscussPrintAAA.Robert Johnson, Palm City

Letter: It's time to rethink Florida's gill-net ban to boost economy, quality of fish

In 1994 an amendment to the state constitution was passed outlawing gill nets in the state of Florida. The law read on the ballot "limit commercial fishing in state waters." The amendment was carefully worded to disguise its true intention.

Most voters cast their ballot with conservation in mind having no idea that an entire industry was about to be abolished. The ban on gill nets wiped out jobs and destroyed lives overnight. Most people would have cast their ballot differently in 1994 had they truly understood the repercussions. Today, 90 percent of the seafood consumed in the United States is imported, with most of it coming in from Asia.

About 10 percent of this product is inspected by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. There are little or no restrictions on fishing in the Third World countries supplying us with our seafood. Producing our own seafood not only creates jobs but ensures quality for the consumer.

Conservation is in everyone's best interest, and to the fishermen themselves the most. No one wants to see our fish stocks depleted. The facts show that regulated and managed gill net fishing is the most efficient way to harvest fish commercially. It is possible to let the fisherman use gill nets to make their living while maintaining strong fish stocks for years to come.

Louisiana and North Carolina are two of the states that allow regulated gill netting and studies show their fish stocks to be strong. Gill nets and hook and lines can coexist and it would be to the benefit of all who reside in Florida and all who enjoy fresh seafood.

Want to give the state economy a jolt? Ease restrictions on gill nets.

© 2012 TCPalm. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No industry was abolished it is still legal to fish for mullet commercially only a type of gear was abolished. And to think that allowing gill nets will improve the so called quality of mullet is simply ludicrous because one thing we can be certain of is that it will certainly affect the quality of the recreational catch. The gill net will take all the big fish and leave the shorts for the recreatonals, yea that would be a big boost to the economy, shut down recreational fishing again!

Was that article written by a journalist? Because that is the most misleading thing I have ever read. Total BS.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Quote Originally Posted by gill netter View Post
    COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN WILL BE HERE FOREVER. WE WILL CONTINUE TO WORK AROUND YOUR STUPID LAWS!!!!!!!!

Senior Member ACME Ventures Fishing's Avatar
    As a result of the current net egulations, our fisheries continue to grow, from what had become
    a dangerously low stock level of important game and food fish, to what we see now as a robust
    fishery that draws millions to our state yearly to participate in a economically dominate sportfishery,
    as well as continuing to support a commercial fishery that allows those not wanting to harvest
    themselves to enjoy fresh local fish.

Easing back on the net restrictions may make it easier (more effective) for commercial fishermen,
    but is it what is best for the fishery, and the economic impact of the recreational fisheries that
    the state counts on more than any other sector? Remembering that the current regulations
    have allowed continued growth since their inception make one rightly question how going back
    'towards' that old regulatory allowance is a good idea. It had been previously argued that smaller
    nets 'kill too many young fish'. That arguement ws supposed to make people accept the arguement for
    larger mesh nets, however, if that arguement remains, it really make us question the whole net
    fishing impact on our fisheries.

Recreational fishermen have not opposed the net fishermen, fishing the same waters for years
    now. Despite 'some' in the commercial net fishery trying to create a divide, and inflame the issue
    by claiming that a recreational hatred for net fishers is what is behind the restrictions, the fact
    of the matter is, our fisheries are MUCH healthier now than they were before the current net
    restrictions began. Anyone thinking otherwise likely believes cigeratte smoking does not harm
    you and seat belts don't save lives! The current regulations are working, and despite a ban of large
    nets that indecrimantly gill and entangle fish, commercial fishermen, with nets still fish our waters,
    and our fish stocks remain healthy for ALL to benefit from.

Quote Originally Posted by surfman View Post
    No industry was abolished it is still legal to fish for mullet commercially only a type of gear was abolished. And to think that allowing gill nets will improve the so called quality of mullet is simply ludicrous because one thing we can be certain of is that it will certainly affect the quality of the recreational catch. The gill net will take all the big fish and leave the shorts for the recreatonals, yea that would be a big boost to the economy, shut down recreational fishing again!

Was that article written by a journalist? Because that is the most misleading thing I have ever read. Total BS.
    If the size was increased to 3" instead of the present 2" then the market would have a predictable size food mullet to sell(3" mesh will gill a 1 to 1 1/4lb fish). That predictablity might help the re-establish food markets that were lost after the net ban. If you think that a 3" mesh would increase the roe catch then you really don't have a clue as to how mesh size determines fish size and the avg size of red roe mullet.

Only your 1st sentence had any truth to it, rest of your drivel was just that.
    This place rocks!
    Now

The truth is that our fishery is better than ever even though there are more recreational fishermen today than ever and the biggest change in the fishery has been the absence of gill nets. As far as mullet for a food fish goes there doesn’t seem to be a problem with fishermen catching mullet when they want to. They flooded the market with them during the roe season to the point where the fish houses had to turn them away and they were wasted and dumped. The gear they are currently using is just fine, there is no need to change anything and ruin a perfectly good and significantly more valuable recreational fishery in the process.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Quote Originally Posted by gill netter View Post
    COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN WILL BE HERE FOREVER. WE WILL CONTINUE TO WORK AROUND YOUR STUPID LAWS!!!!!!!!

Yep, I can see the tourists flocking to Fl for a chance to catch a wall-hanger mullet...

Always been easier to catch mullet in the fall when they bunch up prior to spawning, it's this time of year(march thru july) when the markets suffer, always been called the scrapping season amoung fishermen.
    This place rocks!
    Now

gill netters disprove evolution ....how many generations does it take to understand brush + tooth paste = a full smile
    never mind making the jump to aquaculture or training for new trades.......
    Old School Forum Member

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647 LastLast