Government Assistance Comes With Strings - Page 7

Florida Sportsman

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Quote Originally Posted by anglingarchitect View Post
    Not Allowed

Where are cakes on the list.

I was in Publix the other night when one of these $25.00 decorated cakes that was bought on government debit card was being returned for cash. Little girl behind behind the counter asked what the problem was that prompted the return,
    Baby Momma say; Cause I don't want it *****! I asked after she got her money and left that I didn't think they could do that and she said it happens all the time, as she tosses the un opened cake in the garbage.

Seems like a perfect and efficient use of taxes dollars to me, needs no tinkering what so ever.

Case closed.
    If there is a system, folks will learn to abuse it. There will always be a work-a-round.

No offense GLady, but you're armed with a flyswatter in a field of locus pushing this junk food thingy.

Love this multi-quote feature!

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty Bits View Post
    That was a great metaphor, I felt like I was there.
    Thank you...breathing in a little fresh air does wonders for putting things in perspective...we are so small, and that sky is so big.

Quote Originally Posted by anglingarchitect View Post
    I was in Publix the other night when one of these $25.00 decorated cakes that was bought on government debit card was being returned for cash. Little girl behind behind the counter asked what the problem was that prompted the return,
    Baby Momma say; Cause I don't want it *****! I asked after she got her money and left that I didn't think they could do that and she said it happens all the time, as she tosses the un opened cake in the garbage.
    I've heard of similar instances...EBT cards aren't set up to take charge backs, so I understand...usually, though, the customer is given a store credit...which is, I guess, as good as cash when it comes to purchasing beer and tobacco products from that store. The tragedy here is that there are people who are grateful for the help and really need it. Every single person who abuses this program is stealing food from the mouths of the needy...hogging an already limited resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichthusphile View Post

No offense GLady, but you're armed with a flyswatter in a field of locus pushing this junk food thingy.
    That's okay, no offense taken...Joan of Arc wielded a sword, yet she still went up in smoke.
    ('Course I'm no Joan of Arc...I don't speak French.)

On a side note - the Fl convenience store owners assoc and the Fl beverage assoc are against this also...they have a financial stake in seeing the bill defeated.

BB's way is best, make food available from central warehouses...but that won't happen, unless the situation is so dire that all of us (except Hollywood types, journalists and politicians) are standing in bread lines.

The SNAP program is meant to provide assistance in purchasing nutritional food. By no definition are cakes, cookies, ice cream, candy, chips and colas nutritional foods. Obesity is a big problem in this nation. There is no logic in the reasoning that allows the purchase of an expensive bakery cake but not a rotisserie chicken.

When my children were little, we couldn't afford fancy store-bought cakes. I made them myself...and now I learn that all this time my tax dollars set aside for nutritional assistance are buying those same fancy cakes for some else's children? When the time comes that the person ahead of you in line who's using an EBT card to buy 'luxury' grocery items while you are buying ground meat and raw chicken parts...there will be a revolt...or at least there oughta be.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=344&dateline=13073685  84

Quote Originally Posted by Grady-lady View Post
    BB's way is best, make food available from central warehouses...but that won't happen, unless the situation is so dire that all of us (except Hollywood types, journalists and politicians) are standing in bread lines.
    Agreed, heckfire I hope the bill passes simply to watch the ACLU fall all over themselves filing lawsuits patting themselves on the back thinking they're looking out for the little guy when the truth is 180 behind them in nutrition. But they wont be able to help themselves.

Have a great day.

Ok I understand this is more about the health of the pathetic people that don't have the ability to get a job, nor the discipline to eat right. I have no interested in feeding any of em... once they have a full belly they wanna make babies, babies as worthless as them and will be raised by them to be as worthless as them or worse yet be raised by government subsidized foster parents, and they'll still be worthless POS.. let em starve to death and the world is a better place
    Or allow them the chance to earn their dinner by going into a work camp....not like Germany's, but like the ones that were established during the Great Depression...the CCC did alot of good for the USA, and it got people willing to work for their food the chance to be well-fed and have some pride. The bums on the public tit need to work for the right to exist. PERIOD.

If that ain't happening then we need to restrict what can be purchased to the point that it provides a healthy unpleasant diet... Skim Milk, Brussel Sprouts, a one a day vitamin, rice and beans ONLY.
    You want a Sunny D? get off your Butt and steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post
    ...If that ain't happening then we need to restrict what can be purchased to the point that it provides a healthy unpleasant diet... Skim Milk, Brussel Sprouts, a one a day vitamin, rice and beans ONLY.
    I love me some skim milk and brussel sprouts! :obscene
    (not necessarily together)

The fraud, the abuse, the waste, the seeming inablity/unconcern of a government agency to be good stewards of our tax dollars in even so simple a venture as providing nutritional assistance should give all taxpayers pause. Social programs are rapidly becoming, if not already, the largest expenditures in the federal budget. We have the right to demand accountability.

There is one very simple, inexpensive way to eliminate the fraud of returning fresh or frozen foods for the purpose of receiving a store credit or cash...it's an internal accounting issue. Reprogram the EBT fund to allow for charge backs.

Many charities run soup kitchens and/or food banks. Anyone hungry can walk in off the street and eat a meal. But, for those requesting financial aid, or food items...those charities require ID of all household members, including children. The information of who got help, what and when is entered on a computer program that is shared with all charitable agencies. Not out of stinginess, but because some folks were taking advantage of the generosity of donors, and going from one agency to another for benefits, depleting stock and leaving less for the folks 'in line' behind them.

If private agencies can institute measures to prevent abuse, thereby doing the most good for the most people...Pray tell, why, with all its resources, cant' the Federal Government?

I'll tell you one reason...nameless, faceless bureaucrats who have no respect for the American taxpayer, or feel any obligation to spend our money wisely. (just wait until they manage our health care) Unlike a private organization who appreciates the generosity of donors, and does all in their power to distribute those donations fairly.

This proposal probably will not make it past the budget process...there has already been talk of the expense of instituting it. In addition several powerful business lobbies are fighting it.
    What a shame.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=344&dateline=13073685  84

People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say

The democratic process relies on the assumption that citizens (the majority of them, at least) can recognize the best political candidate, or best policy idea, when they see it. But a growing body of research has revealed an unfortunate aspect of the human psyche that would seem to disprove this notion, and imply instead that democratic elections produce mediocre leadership and policies.

The research, led by David Dunning, a psychologist at Cornell University, shows that incompetent people are inherently unable to judge the competence of other people, or the quality of those people's ideas. For example, if people lack expertise on tax reform, it is very difficult for them to identify the candidates who are actual experts. They simply lack the mental tools needed to make meaningful judgments.

As a result, no amount of information or facts about political candidates can override the inherent inability of many voters to accurately evaluate them. On top of that, "very smart ideas are going to be hard for people to adopt, because most people don’t have the sophistication to recognize how good an idea is," Dunning told Life's Little Mysteries.

http://news.yahoo.com/people-arent-s...185601411.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mister-Jr View Post
    People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say

The democratic process relies on the assumption that citizens (the majority of them, at least) can recognize the best political candidate, or best policy idea, when they see it. But a growing body of research has revealed an unfortunate aspect of the human psyche that would seem to disprove this notion, and imply instead that democratic elections produce mediocre leadership and policies.

The research, led by David Dunning, a psychologist at Cornell University, shows that incompetent people are inherently unable to judge the competence of other people, or the quality of those people's ideas. For example, if people lack expertise on tax reform, it is very difficult for them to identify the candidates who are actual experts. They simply lack the mental tools needed to make meaningful judgments.

As a result, no amount of information or facts about political candidates can override the inherent inability of many voters to accurately evaluate them. On top of that, "very smart ideas are going to be hard for people to adopt, because most people don’t have the sophistication to recognize how good an idea is," Dunning told Life's Little Mysteries.

http://news.yahoo.com/people-arent-s...185601411.html
    Isn't that what Democrats rely on these days?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567