Where to find tiger minnows??

Florida Sportsman

Where to find tiger minnows??

I was wondering if anyone knew of a sure-fire place to cast net some tiger minnows/mud minnows in the 3-4" range in the tampa or st. pete area? I used to see these guys everywhere when I didn't want them for bait, but now that I want them I can't find anything big enough for bait. Let me know if you know of a spot you know for certain holds them. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clarosa View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a sure-fire place to cast net some tiger minnows/mud minnows in the 3-4" range in the tampa or st. pete area? I used to see these guys everywhere when I didn't want them for bait, but now that I want them I can't find anything big enough for bait. Let me know if you know of a spot you know for certain holds them. Thanks
    I have bought them at Denny Bs or whatever it's called now on Hillsborough just west of Memorial/Sheldon. Give them a call first as they don't always have them. It's more of a winter bait for me. They definitely are Red and Trout candy.

Hmmmmm, I am looking at pics of mudminnows and they look a lot like killifish. They are not the same? I know I catch tons of those things in creeks in Dunedin and clearwater. Hmmmmm maybe the lake Seminole spillways, seems like anywhere with mucky bottom and brackish water might be a good place. Have you tried areas and just had no luck? From the pics I am seeing they just look like killifish, in which case you can catch them on the beaches by the hundreds. I catch them in sailboat harbor at Davis island all them time when I am trying to net mojarras, on the beach ft desoto, in the creeks, in the hurricane pass, bunces pass, palm river, shoot all over. Like the other guy said, I always have used them in the winter however snook will pound them In the surf.
    Last edited by Snookmeister; 04-23-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/

I know where they are........

Quote Originally Posted by Snookmeister View Post
    Hmmmmm, I am looking at pics of mudminnows and they look a lot like killifish. They are not the same? I know I catch tons of those things in creeks in Dunedin and clearwater. Hmmmmm maybe the lake Seminole spillways, seems like anywhere with mucky bottom and brackish water might be a good place. Have you tried areas and just had no luck? From the pics I am seeing they just look like killifish, in which case you can catch them on the beaches by the hundreds. I catch them in sailboat harbor at Davis island all them time when I am trying to net mojarras, on the beach ft desoto, in the creeks, in the hurricane pass, bunces pass, palm river, shoot all over. Like the other guy said, I always have used them in the winter however snook will pound them In the surf.
    Yea, I beleive their technical name is striped killfish. I call those tiger minnows, and there are other ones that look exactly like them, but with no stripes. During the winter I see them everywhere, but lately I haven't been able to catch them anywhere. The one's I do catch are only 2-3 inches and very scarce. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a place where they are always at. I do remember seeing them in davis island though. It's been a couple years since i've been there so I wasn't sure whether they are there still. Thanks for the reply though.

We're doing a project in Bishop and Mullet Creek in Safety Harbor and we are netting a lot of gulf killifish (F. grandis), which also have stripes and get larger than striped killis (F. majails). W ehave also caught some longnose killis (F. similis), which also have stripes.

Anywya, many of the smaller tidal creeks, with sandy/muddy bottom (as noted above) will hold concentrations. I have found good pockets in Old Tampa Bay tidal tribs on both the PInellas and Hillsborough side and up through Safety Harbor/Oldsmar.
    www.scottdeitche.com
    Twitter- scottyyz
    Facebook - Author page

new book: Rogue Mobster: The Untold Story of Mark Silverman and the New England Mafia, out now!

Next Ybor City Mafia Tours - Fall 2012

Quote Originally Posted by clarosa View Post
    You want me to bring you some greenies for Friday night?

I see them alot on the flats right up along the shoreline. Like in 1 inch of water.