3/1/2012 Mimms Area

Florida Sportsman

3/1/2012 Mimms Area

Took the morning off and drove over to Mimms for few hours of fishing before going into work. I live in Mount Dora so it's a hour and 40 minute trip one way for a few hours on the water, never mind the gas cost. Sometimes you just gotta go.
    The wind was maybe 5 or 6 straight up the river from the south. Not too much of a problem in a kayak...if you don't forget your anchor.
    I decided to paddle south down to the railroad tressle and drift back while looking for fish, hopefully some tailers. Drift back I did!! It the wind if 5 or 6 or 7 then you drift at that same speed. I was moving so fast I ran over several schools of fish. No way to slow down no way to stop. I was so pissed at myself.
    They were there and were willing to bite. Could have gotten more but I did managed to get two trout at 20" and 21" apiece and one really nice Red at 25". Oh, I also forgot my cooler so no fish for the freezer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mimms Red.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	22759

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mimms trout2.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	22760

Very nice fish! I wish the ML had been 5 or 6 today, it was blowing something fierce out there. you get the red on a fly? nice fish

Next time jump out and wade. I used to wade that flat all the time, the bottom is nice and hard so it's easy to wade there

Quote Originally Posted by shouldabeenworkin View Post
    it's a hour and 40 minute trip one way for a few hours on the water, never mind the gas cost.
    You have a good mind set on it...I'm not going to complain about having to pull the skiff 20 miles to a ramp to catch fish....compared to you...Life is all cake and ice cream for me!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Nice job, in the wind. It was ripping at the house all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by shouldabeenworkin View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta go.
    That's dern right! Good job!