.223 vs 6.8mm

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .223 vs 6.8mm

.223 vs 6.8mm

Looking to join the AR world and want the one gun to do it all (reality is I can afford one).

Will be shooting coyotes at longer range (at least trying) and pigs at closer range.

I like the 6.8 performance but the .223 ammo cost is nice.

Also want the perfect optics that allow long range accuracy as well as quick on moving targets up close.

Thanks for the suggestions

I have 2 ARs both in .223 / 5.56 . Shoot federal fusions in both and they both group awesome. Have made several shots over 150 yds on hogs and coyotes and haven't had any problems. Shot placement is key with the .223 . 6.8 does have alittle more energy, but the cost of ammo would make it too expensive for my situation. As far as optics go, i have a scope mounted on my daytime rifle then i off set a red-dot on it. works very well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	23158

I would go .223 for price and availability of ammo. If your a good shot that will take down anything you want to shoot. The way I see it if the military uses it, then it must be effective. I belive they rely on 5.56 out to 400 yards if I remember correctly. I know I have taken a few pigs with a .223 and they have all dropped faster than the few taken with a 12 gauge. Shot placement is key. I used to deer hunt with a 30-06 and now carry a .223, becuase I know when I squeeze the trigger exactly where the bullet is going. The 30-06 was not alot of fun to shoot (and gets pricey) so I didnt' shoot it nearly as much, making me less effective with it.

I have a Mini 14 not an AR, but I would go with the .223. Ammo is fairly cheap and easily obtained. It has enough for coyote and hogs at any reasonable range.

I keep two optics......a Vortex red dot and a Weaver Super Slam dangerous game 1x5. Each is mounted with Warne QD rings and can be swapped in just a few seconds.

I've read several articles that say the 6.8 performance is not better than the .223

Definitely go with the .223
    Come to Forced Sex University where you can rape women for free!!!

Senior Member Turner River Terror's Avatar
    Lot,s of 223 Guys here.
    Me , I,m a 6.8 guy. You notice how many Folks say Shot Placment is the Key / thats with any Round... But My 6.8 is a DRT Round.Got 5 Hogs and 2 Bucks last Year. All DRT. If Your not burning Rounds , The Cost of the 6.8 is about a Buck each. How much Shootin You gonna do ? Are You Hunting or Target Shooting ?
    6.8 was developed by the 5 th Army Guys BECAUSE it has more Knockdown Power and the 223 wasen,t cutting it . Plus it preforms real well out of a SRB Platform .
    I,m sticking with Mine

This Shot was a 2 fer Total paas thru on the bigger Hog and a little Snacker also
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Rifle 002.jpg  

6.8 SPC is one of the more advanced cartridges available today. As mentioned, its a fairly recent design – it packs a lot more lethality then .223 (search the specs and have a look for yourself). It is a good bit more expensive, but you are putting how much in an AR? I like the 6.8 and its got fantastic stats.

Another option all together is the M1A (civilian version of the M14). M1A and the SOCOM variants pack macking takedown power - .308 Winchester. These rifles are gaining in popularity for those who want an AR feel with abundant power. It’s a common firearm among the survivalist clan as it is a “one rife does it all” and it only has to hit it "once." M1A, not for little girls, a personal favorite. Check the stats and give it a hard look. Its a hard hitter.

In a conventional war the army doesn't necessarily want to kill someone, sometimes its better to wound them badly. I have a .223 and its great on bobcats and yotes. I have killed plenty of pigs with it, but wounded plenty more(which is just as good for my fields). A 6.8 or a 6.5 is a much better hunting platform for an AR than the .223, but ammo is $1+ compared to .25 cents. If ammo was free I'd shoot an AR in .243 WSM. for long range or .300 blackout for rapid semi auto fire.

For deer .24 caliber is the smallest I would go. It would be irresponsible to hunt deer with a .223, It is illegal in some states.

In a conventional war the army doesn't necessarily want to kill someone, sometimes its better to wound them badly. I have a .223 and its great on bobcats and yotes. I have killed plenty of pigs with it, but wounded plenty more(which is just as good for my fields). A 6.8 or a 6.5 is a much better hunting platform for an AR than the .223, but ammo is $1+ compared to .25 cents. If ammo was free I'd shoot an AR in .243 WSM. for long range or .300 blackout for rapid semi auto fire.

For deer .24 caliber is the smallest I would go. It would be irresponsible to hunt deer with a .223, It is illegal in some states.

You can buy a AR in .308 for about the same as .223. .308 ammo is relatively cheap, but the gun weighs more than a .223, 6.5, 6.8.

Senior Member Turner River Terror's Avatar
    buckfever pretty much summed it up
    You looking to kill or Wound.
    I won,t take a 223 Deer Hunting. Cayotes and such sure, But I,m looking to take home some meat , Not Blood Trail all Day
    Killin and Grillin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast