offshore from red fish pass 17 mi 2/27 12 big porgys , snapper, triggers, grouper

Florida Sportsman

Hybrid View

offshore from red fish pass 17 mi 2/27 12 big porgys , snapper, triggers, grouper

Got a late start with a crew of two from Naples. Did not leave the dock till 10AM planned for a short run to catch some nice grunt for a fish fry. Stopped at about 7 miles out started catching grunts at first drop and grouper gags and reds..at around 12:30 it really laid down i suggested we run another 10 miles to where i have had a good bite lately..Locate spot set anchor,start chum line..Bite starts with triggers, must have caught 4 in a row all shorts to 11inch. Porgys start to show the grouper then bigger porgys,gray snapper..

We were using med light spin gear 20lb main small 2 and 3 small circle hooks,live shrimp,squid 2ft leaders..Danny hooks up with what i thought for sure was a grouper. It was give and take because lite equipment he really wanted to land the fish ..when we saw color we knew it was not a grouper,big ,silver, wide running away from the boat..Now i want to make sure it gets into the boat..19 1/2 porgy bigger than my the last trip out here..never saw another boat out or back..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0531.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	22557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0533.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	22558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0534.jpg 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	22559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0538.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	22560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0536.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	22561
    larrywitt

Man those porgies eat up well. Nice going !
    K

Nice fish Larry! This winters been great for fishing. The weather and the seas have been unusually warmer and calmer, I think the spring run is gonna be right around the corner, Kings will be in shortly, and I think the poons will be in a little earlier than there normal mid April appearance. Now, I wonder, is any one going far ( 50 - 60 mls ) to produce any good size A.J.'s ?? or B.F.'s ?? or even some big Permit off the wreaks? Well, keep on with the great reports, I'm sure all will love hearing about ones adventures, inshore and off shore

Nice job larry

looks like a fun bite!

Lots of big porgies around lately. Most spots they're bigger than the grouper. How deep was the water Larry ?

WE WERE AT 59 FT ON HARD LIVE BOTTOM.. we fish just up current of some 2 to 3 ft humps not very big but productive.. Throw out marker..Set out the Chum slick and wait it may take a couple of tries to get the flow just right by tying anchor line off different cleats..
    larrtwitt

Very nice!

My second (wife)... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).