Pine Island....this time on a boat.

Florida Sportsman

Pine Island....this time on a boat.

The plan was to fish with my buddy Darrin in his boat all around PI looking for big reds. We weren't starting till 8ish, so I started out Friday morning in Pine Island in the kayak. I fished for about an hour and landed a nice redfish and nice trout. I thought I forgot my camera, and back at the ramp, I used my phone to take pics.

Met up with Darrin and began our search. We were floating on a nice flats area and I was throwing my usual Gulp shrimp and he was using a paddletail. I missed a hook up on a nice reds that I watched swim over to my bait and slam. Darrin eventually caught a little red. As we moved closer to some oysters, he hooks into a nice snook.

A few minutes later, he hooks another, and while that fish is coming in, we notice a HUGE redfish following it. The snook gets off at the boat and swims off, but the reds hangs around! Darrin casually tosses his jig out and the reds slams it! While fighting, the fish gets off near the boat, but we are now pretty excited. We stay in the area and catch many slot sized reds before moving on.

We move to the mangroves on the incoming tide and keep scoring reds. Using a kayak most of the time, I pretty much blind cast to the mangrove areas that I think hold fish. Its been a while since I have been in a boat, and I could see everything. We picked up a few more fish sight fishing the mangroves before moving on to trout.

On the way back in, we drifted across the sound for trout. We caught probably 50 or so ranging from 18" to 23" all on paddletail grubs. It was an epic day on the water and it was nice to mix it up a bit by boating instead of paddling.

nice job

GRAT REPORT AND IMAGES..keep them coming..

Good job and nice report
    Sell Your Stuff, Keep The Dog, Live On An Island
    Howard Livingston & Mile Marker 24 Band
    Beer Can Collection