Dental Implants in Costa Rica

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dental Implants in Costa Rica

I posted this in off topic and it was suggested that I post it here for more info.

My son, Garrett has to have 4 dental implants. When he was young an Orthodontist pulled 4 teeth to prepare him for braces. Afterward, his dentist confided in me that we should get another opinion. Long story short, he got braces elsewhere and is left with retainers and 4 spaces.

We were told to wait until he was 18 to do the implants and this summer is looking like the correct time. The cost of the implants is ranging from 9K to 16K in the US.

After doing some research the same procedure for the four implants is less than 3K in Costa and it looks like it is becoming more popular.

I'm thinking of making it a fishing/implant Father/son vacation......

What say ye, forum brethren?
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!

sorry do not know anything about costa rican implants, what i would advise is that if you go fish before not after, it is painful for a few days and the last thing he will want is to be on a boat.i had 6 done a few years back and it kept me off the water for a week or more.
    or i am just a woosy!!

I had post and crown done at Prisma Dental in San Jose. I will never use an american dentist unless emergency. First class experience for a quarter of cost. Very clean more up to date then back home. And the kicker dentist stayed with me for three hours from 5pm-8pm on friday to save me vacation days. That would never happen back home!!!!!

No Brainer. Trip paid for with savings!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by osprey11 View Post
    I had post and crown done at Prisma Dental in San Jose. I will never use an american dentist unless emergency. First class experience for a quarter of cost. Very clean more up to date then back home. And the kicker dentist stayed with me for three hours from 5pm-8pm on friday to save me vacation days. That would never happen back home!!!!!
    Great share!
    DUDE!

Senior Member Lobstercatcher229's Avatar
    Bruce Williams, a radio talk show host says that he recommends using professionals and holding their feet to the fire if there is some problem. Occasionally in dental work you run across a situation where you have 4 options if you are the dentist: Repair, refund, refer, or redo. If you get home from Costa Rica and have a problem those 4 options will be more challenging. I guess you can look at it that it is so cheap that if you need it redone you can fly down and do it again for cheaper than the original US estimate. But be careful, in implants sometimes there is a situation where damage can be done that is difficult or impossible to fix.

Unfortunately, patients don't know very often when they have received good or bad dentistry until it becomes a problem. Even crappy work holds up for a while.

rrbgtt, if you were in your son's shoes, is this what you would want your dad to do for you? Your son probably doesn't have a lot of say in this, so do what your conscience tells you to do.

Have you investigated having those spaces closed orthodontically? Might be worth another opinion from another orthodontist.

LR
    Last edited by Little Rascal; 03-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.

My dentist was schooled and certified by US. Get over yourselves. It was a MUCH better experience. Yall keep being suckers!!!!!! My work was done over 6 years ago. How much longer till this shotty work falls out. Oh yeah my original AMERICAN fillings are failing!

Dr. Telma Rubinstein, DDS

•D.D.S. University of Costa Rica
    •Advance training in Cosmetics Dentistry, Switzerland
    •Advanced training in Implant Dentistry: Montreal, Costa Rica and the University of Miami
    •Membership in the Prosthodontic Section of the Collegium Internationale of Oral Implantologists USA
    •Membership in the International Congress of Oral Implantologist USA
    •Expert training in all aspects of full mouth restoration
    •Advanced training Periodontics USA

Dr. Josef Cordero Pinczanski, DDS

•D.D.S. University of Costa Rica
    •Advanced training in Cosmetics Dentistry, Switzerland
    •Advanced training in Implant Dentistry: Montreal, Costa Rica and the University of Miami
    •Membership in the Prosthodontic Section of the Collegium Internationale of Oral Implantologists USA
    •Membership in the International Congress of Oral Implantologist USA
    •Advanced Laboratory Technician Supervisor

Yep bunch of quacks.

Quote Originally Posted by osprey11 View Post
    My dentist was schooled and certified by US. Get over yourselves. It was a MUCH better experience. Yall keep being suckers!!!!!! My work was done over 6 years ago. How much longer till this shotty work falls out. Oh yeah my original AMERICAN fillings are failing!
    Sounds like YOU need to get over you. Since he/she was schooled and certified in the US, what does that tell you? Are you telling the original poster that he will get the two doctors you mentioned? If not, who will do the work? Does Costa Rica have the same standards we have in the US concerning infection control, continuing education, governmental oversight and regulation? Does a patient have the same rights in Costa Rica to sue if something goes wrong? What exactly are the educational requirements to become a doctor in Costa Rica? They are pretty darn high here in the US. How well do the doctors down there speak english? How much will it cost to keep going back down there for treatment?

It's pretty insulting to me for you to imply that work done in the US is inferior. Are you saying that "AMERICAN" fillings are inferior and fillings done in Costa Rica are much better and last longer? Maybe there is a reason your dentistry is failing and has nothing to do with anyone but you. You can buy a new car and it will be great for a while. If you don't take care of it, eventually it will fail. You need to change the oil, tires, fluids, plugs, etc. Teeth and dental work don't take care of themselves.

So, us that are loyal to the US, keep our money in this country, support our local businesses and have our work done here are just plane "suckers". Is that what you are saying?

osprey11, if you had seen a fraction of what I have seen in my lifetime, you would have a much better understanding and you wouldn't be saying the things you are. It's simply not fair for you to encourage people to go down south to have some cheap dentistry or medicine done. I think if that's the only option you have to save your life or have something done that is essential, then that's a different matter.

LR
    Last edited by Little Rascal; 03-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast