Bow sight advice

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bow sight advice

I made a trade this late fall for a mathews drenelin minus a sight. The last couple years it has been getting tough to see my pins due to being right handed with a left eye dominant. i was curioius about the hind site addition to a sight and thinking of trying to shoot right handed and left eye. anyone have this issue or use a hind site? Or just a good site reco as well since my current sight is a basic sight that I have no intention moving over to the drenelin.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Spott Hogg

If you are having problems focusing on the sight you may want to look into a single pin slider type sight. From my experience the HHA is prolly the best for that style site.
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

Quote Originally Posted by BowtechGen3 View Post
    If you are having problems focusing on the sight you may want to look into a single pin slider type sight. From my experience the HHA is prolly the best for that style site.
    when you say slider type are you talking adjustment type for distance? Those type kinda leave me leary. I have always felt there is usally not enough time to make distance adjustments when oportunity presents itself.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt

I know this is a bit late is saying, but I have the same issue as you with being right handed/left eye dominant. One of the best things you can do for what you are experiencing is to switch shooting hands. Yep, get a left handed bow. Sounds crazy, but I'm telling you it works. Being able to shoot with both eyes open is a wonderful thing.
    I made the switch in '09 from a right handed bow to a left hand bow, and I have no problems seeing my pin through the peep, even in very low light.
    Do a search on Archery Talk dot com for left eye dominant issues. There are many threads about this.

Something to consider...
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

This is a common problem with a simlpe solution. First of all, shoot a single sight pin. The Drenalin is fast enough that you should not need more than 1 pin to hunt out to 40 yds. Set you zero at around 32 yds and you should be about 3/4" high at 20 yds and 1" low at 40 yds. That will take the guess work out of range finding deer. No matter where you hunt, find your 40 yd marker, take shots only inside that range and aim for center mass. It's a dead deer every time.

Second, in most cases, no matter which site company's products you use, almost all of them make upsized(and down sized) sight pins. Use something with ample fiber optics that's machined of aluminum and not cast of pot metal or molded from plastic. I like the Vital Bow Gear, HHA, Spot Hogg and Toxonics sights as all solid equipment.

Last, if you have some problem with clarity of vision, try a clarifier peep. This is a peep sight with interchangeable lenses that can be screwed in & out with an allen key. Most any quality archery shop will be able to fit you into what you are looking for.
    Final Approach Pro Staff, Duck Junkies Pro Staff, and proud member of the Fab Five.

I had you pissed off at "hello."

Quote Originally Posted by launchpad View Post
    when you say slider type are you talking adjustment type for distance? Those type kinda leave me leary. I have always felt there is usally not enough time to make distance adjustments when oportunity presents itself.
    I shoot a HHA slider and haven't had issues with that yet. It came with the bow I bought used so I figured I'd try it. I shoot a Matthews LX which is a few years behind the drenalin. I'm shooting in the mid to high 260s and have it set with pins @ 25, 35, 45. It shoots 0-25 on one pin and I leave it on 25 when hunting. So far I've not had issues with needing to adjust it, I've just waited for shots within 25. The few times I've had deer @ 40 I had both time and presence of mind (remembering to move it was more of a concern for me than time) to move it, but waited on closer shots and eventually they presented themselves.

We discovered my son was left eye dominate at age 8. All the literature suggest shooting dominate eye – bow, skeet or otherwise. Within 15 minutes – and he was fighting it all the way – he was shooting better than he ever did before – all disciplines. A lot of discussing on the web with this subject related to wing shooting and skeet – many instructors there recommend dominate eye and report success switching guys in their 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by flydown View Post
    I know this is a bit late is saying, but I have the same issue as you with being right handed/left eye dominant. One of the best things you can do for what you are experiencing is to switch shooting hands. Yep, get a left handed bow. Sounds crazy, but I'm telling you it works. Being able to shoot with both eyes open is a wonderful thing.
    I made the switch in '09 from a right handed bow to a left hand bow, and I have no problems seeing my pin through the peep, even in very low light.
    Do a search on Archery Talk dot com for left eye dominant issues. There are many threads about this.

Something to consider...
    Yes it is. Thanks for the suggestion about AT forum. I found more than enough information. The thing is I consider myself a good shooter. The issue is between the glasses, the peep, poor light and using my non dominant eye I start to loose the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by huntmstr View Post
    This is a common problem with a simlpe solution. First of all, shoot a single sight pin. The Drenalin is fast enough that you should not need more than 1 pin to hunt out to 40 yds. Set you zero at around 32 yds and you should be about 3/4" high at 20 yds and 1" low at 40 yds. That will take the guess work out of range finding deer. No matter where you hunt, find your 40 yd marker, take shots only inside that range and aim for center mass. It's a dead deer every time.

Second, in most cases, no matter which site company's products you use, almost all of them make upsized(and down sized) sight pins. Use something with ample fiber optics that's machined of aluminum and not cast of pot metal or molded from plastic. I like the Vital Bow Gear, HHA, Spot Hogg and Toxonics sights as all solid equipment.

Last, if you have some problem with clarity of vision, try a clarifier peep. This is a peep sight with interchangeable lenses that can be screwed in & out with an allen key. Most any quality archery shop will be able to fit you into what you are looking for.
    from the research I have done i seem to favor the HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra. since flydown reccomended search the AT forum I came across the Perry No Peep and like the idea of ditching the peep. just gotta keep doing my homework

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast