Boynton 2-23-12 -- tough and painful

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boynton 2-23-12 -- tough and painful

Headed out this morning with a plan to do something different.... was looking forward to that southwest wind with 9 sec intervals. I figured it would be pretty flat so I packed a cigar, a 4lb bag of sardines that's been in my freezer for a year, 2 chum blocks and a bag of bonito chunks. I was planning to anchor and just relax.

I cleared the inlet just past 9 am to a southeast wind and beautiful blue water. So I figured let me troll just for an hour or so; besides it's a faster way to find the fish.... Big mistake!!!!!!!

I find myself 5-6 miles out in 700'-800' on the most beautiful edge I've seen in a long time... thick and tight and as long as the eye can see. I worked it for three hours from the pier to Ocean Ridge. Back and forth a couple of times - inside, outside.....and only one fin to show.

Here's the weedline when I found it - nice and calm in the morning...

By noon time, it was blowing hard from the south / southeast and I found myself getting beat up in 5' seas with 3 sec intervals that were breaking over the bow. So I decided to head back inside. On the way back, the water just looked beautiful deep blue and I was wondering where the blackfins had been, so I added a feather to my spread and shortly after I picked one up in 550'. I headed in towards the martini glass, did a few passes inside and picked up a couple of bullets.

So back to the original plan..... no way - too rough now inside to anchor on my own.... so I pulled all my lines in, put out two chum bags, started chunking like crazy and within 10 minutes I had all sorts of fish around the boat including a 5'-6' hammerhead... and then here comes brownie........ I toss a dead sardine in front him and the fight is on..... with the bumpy seas, I had to gaff him twice. He went crazy on the first gaff so he needed a second shot.

All in all - not a bad day.... but got pretty rough mid day - and no cigar till tonight!

Good luck out there... looking forward to your weekend reports.

Get the Latest Checked~Out Videos: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...er=thepaulboat

Nice mixed bag Paul!

Excellent.

Paul,

Excellent buddy!!!!!!!!

Love the cobe.. looks like you shot him with a 40 caliber shell.

Hey, when I see you... I've got some cuban cigars for you.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Good Job again Paul! I think you've been spending more time out on the water fishing then most of us work during the week... I'm Jeolous...Good for you! Not only that, you get to fish during the week on an empty ocean. "The weedline out there last Saturday was like a Boat Show" Nice Job on the mixed bag.

Great job!! Jealous you get to go out so much!!

Good job Paul. Man I can't wait to get our boat fixed and get out there.
    Boaters' Marine Services Inc. (Detailing and custom upholstery)
    561-386-9900
    Hookin 'N' Bookin Fishing Team
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hookin...6179553?ref=ts

Nice mixed bag for dinner the next few nights. Nice job out there Paul

Thx guys. I really thought I was going to crush it on that weedline... it looked awesome... but apparently yesterday the fins were off Delray in 300'-400'.

Thx aviator - looking forward to the cubanos.

Jay - I certainly don't fish 40 hours a week... well...no I don't really. But I think about it and prepapre for it

What's up with the boat Ryan?

Yes Travis - had some more sashimi last night and some "wahoo medallions" -- awesome :full

Get the Latest Checked~Out Videos: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...er=thepaulboat

I couldn't catch a fish yesterday. Only managed 5 ballyhoo.
    The seas did pick up quickly yesterday. I was in my 17'KW coming into Boca from Highland Beach.
    5-7 and an occasional "Hold ON"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast