pompano
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Thread: pompano

pompano

Going to try for some pompano down around the Sanibel lighthouse on sunday. Has anyone heard if they are in the area?

Not familiar with the Sanibel lighthouse, but I was killing the Pompano in a secrete inlet during Dec. and Jan. But, the water was clean. After all this wind lately the Pompano probably have left the inlets and surf for cleaner water. I usually go to the flats after a hard N/W wind and look for them there. Look for sandy pot-holes 3 to 6 feet deep. When the water clears-up, they will return to the inlets and surf.

Quote Originally Posted by SCFD rtrd. View Post
    Not familiar with the Sanibel lighthouse, but I was killing the Pompano in a secrete inlet during Dec. and Jan. But, the water was clean. After all this wind lately the Pompano probably have left the inlets and surf for cleaner water. I usually go to the flats after a hard N/W wind and look for them there. Look for sandy pot-holes 3 to 6 feet deep. When the water clears-up, they will return to the inlets and surf.
    Nice, you hit it right on!!

Seems like my larger fish come off the flats as you described. What about for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Angler Systems View Post
    Nice, you hit it right on!!

Seems like my larger fish come off the flats as you described. What about for you?
    Exactly!!! My wife and I were just talking about the size of the Pompano we were catching near the inlet compared to the ones in the flats. The Pompano around the inlet were about 16" average, but the Pompano in the flats are much bigger, some 22". Don't know the reason, but it's always been that way.