Crabs for bait?

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Crabs for bait?

Crabs for bait?

So I am looking forward to Tarpon fishing this late winter and spring in Marathon. So my question is the crabs that I like to use for bait either for Tarpon or Permit are a little pricey in Marathon, like $2.50 a crab?
    I drive down to the Keys from East Central Florida and I was thinking that someone should sell these crabs for a little less along the way. I am willing to stop along the way to pick up say 75 to 100 half dollar size live blue crabs l. If anyone can think of a place that would sell them or if someone knows a wholesale person it would be greatly apreciated.
    Thanks Hodgie

hey man, i bet if you talk to juanita (i think thats her name) at brigadoons on US1 by the Rose Bay bridge, she could get ya hooked up!
    I am choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Cletus View Post
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkatak1089 View Post
    hey man, i bet if you talk to juanita (i think thats her name) at brigadoons on US1 by the Rose Bay bridge, she could get ya hooked up!
    Exactly what I was thinking. kind of a ways to transport them though

Thanks for that but I talked to her this afternoon and they are not / can not have or hold any crabs less than 5 iches. That is a little big.

I've wondered about the rules regarding small blue crabs... I've only bought them in the keys but it seems completely legal there.

jumbo, i don't think she holds only 5+"ers for the laws....she sells them for peeps to eat, mostly (i think), and it ain't worth eating anything smaller haha. i've got hundreds of live blue crabs from her, and i'm sure you know this hodgie, but a 25lb redfish has no issue eating a 5" crab. i know what you mean about that being too big for poons/permits though....i'm comfortable with 3"ers

i'll ask GT fish if his teenage son would wanna earn a few bucks and catch you some crabs of your size preference in jupiter. pat (gt fish) knows where the crabs live!
    I am choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Cletus View Post
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.

Last year I found a bait shop near Boca Grand and was able to pick up 12 dozen for $200, I'll see if I can dig up the guys name. Also call the folks at www.donsbaitandtackle.com. I picked up 90 more from them on the way down for cheap ( right off the turnpoke in Homestead ). Give them a weeks notice to save them up for you. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the hook up on Dons bait and tackle that may be the answer!

No problem! Also while your down there bring some pinfish traps and bait them every night, you'll get a few perfect size crabs a day.