Cudjoe Offshore 2-23 Finally something worth posting ;)

Florida Sportsman

Cudjoe Offshore 2-23 Finally something worth posting ;)

I went out with Dave on his boat CatIsTropic to do some trolling. Between wind and entertaining friends with back country and reef fishing he hasn’t had much chance to get offshore. Today was the day.

We set lines out in 250 off Looe Key and headed south. Between the radio chatter and talking to some other guys it was shaping up to be a real slow day but fisherman are nothing if not optimists, eh? When we hit the second 600 without a hit, baitfish, birds or weed lines we were beginning to think it might be a slow day for us too.

After about 4 hours of nothing, in 275 feet off American Shoal, the rigger pops and I see a Mahi clear the water way back. We are hooked up!

The fish never jumped again and Dave steadily worked him right to the side of the boat. It was a big fish and just there, swimming about 3 feet from the boat and keeping pace. It was as easy as gaffing a log. I reached out with the gaff and ooops, this happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oh-oh.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	22097

The fish was now pissed, ran off and started jumping. We got him back near the boat a couple of times but then another run off. We finally got him tired and along side the boat then gaff-less, redefined “heavy lifter” as it come over the side !

After a “do you know how lucky we were not to lose this fish” and high-fives Dave has his largest Dolphin so far and his first Mahi of 2012. That was it for the day but what a finish!

Dave and his 42” fork length, 27.75 lb., ( black/red kona head skirted ballyhoo. )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DavesMahi.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	22098
    Last edited by urbanRenewal; 02-24-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com

Great looking fish Tom. Quess you got this one after I talked to you. Good going.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Not too shabby! I've been fishing off Looe Key the past few days and ran out to 600ish on Wednesday without seeing ANYTHING. It's good to know the dolphin are around...

Nice 'Phin, glad you didn't lose him

Very nice fish! I know there were some tense times after the gaff broke.

That's always fun with no gaff. We landed the one in my avatar with no gaff as well Thank god we had our spearguns

Nice job landing him after the broken gaff.