Costa Del Mar...what I've learned

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member Indian River Joel's Avatar

Costa Del Mar...what I've learned

I have had a chance to compare the 580 glass, 580 poly, and 400 glass. I'll share what I have learned on here. Remember, This is only matter of opinion.

My first pair of Costas were a 580 glass green mirror pair and I was just blown away by them. I couldnt get myself to go outside without them. I could spot flounder, and reds where other people couldnt see below the surface of the water.

I decided to get a backup pair of 580p Costas and I must say that I wasnt very impressed with them out on the water. In certain lighting settings I could see as good as the glass lenses, but most times I couldnt.

I then picked up a 400 glass pair with the same green mirror. They are much clearer than the 580ps, and almost as clear as the 580 glass. The difference is so feint that I dont think it warrants the extra $50. I do, however, believe that the extra $40 from 580p to the 400g is definitely worth the price.

I decided to post this because I did alot of online searches and I never found any forum compare the 400 glass to the 580p. Please chime in if you have any thoughts or opinions on the different lenses.

EDIT : During my research, I did find that Offshore Anglers noticed a difference between the 400s and the 580s ,where as, inshore anglers tend not to notice at all or very slightly like my experience
    Last edited by Indian River Joel; 02-22-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added information
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881

Sebastian, Kissimmee, Saint Cloud, Louisiana, All Over
    Good info.

Thanx for the great post. I myself have been looking all around the web for a nonbiased comparison and could never find one. Great job. Looks like 580g green mirror for me.
    Fishing is the easy part. It's the catching I suck at!

Thanks for the post as well. IMO Green mirror is simply the best for fishing anything besides blue water. Im either going to pick up another pair of 400s or 580s this saturday

I have only owned the 580s , I do know that they will charge you $80 if you break the lense . What is the charge on the 400s ? Just was wondering .

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    I have only owned the 580s , I do know that they will charge you $80 if you break the lense . What is the charge on the 400s ? Just was wondering .
    I believe its $79 for the 580s and $59 for the 400s
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881

Quote Originally Posted by Miamipescador View Post
    Thanks for the post as well. IMO Green mirror is simply the best for fishing anything besides blue water. Im either going to pick up another pair of 400s or 580s this saturday
    That is a tough decision. I still dont know the answer to that question. On one hand, you feel like you just want to get the best since youre dropping a ton of money, anyways. On the other hand, Why should you hand over your hard earned $50 for a very minor color enhancement. Sounds like they did a great marketing to me LOL
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881

Quote Originally Posted by Miamipescador View Post
    The only thing I notice between my tripletail 400g and 580g is weight. The 580 lenses are lighter.
    - Travis

Shut Up and Fish

"Common sense isn't as common as commonly thought." Me
    "The unprepared man goes into the game prepared to lose." Me

I started out with the Costa switchfoot's in a green mirror 580G years ago. I have since purchased the Costa fisch in a silver mirror 580G and I'm enjoying the fit and finsh of the "fisch" better. As far for the lense color the green mirror seems to brighten up the bottom a little better than the silver mirror making it easier to identify fish from "non-fish" lol

I've been using the Costa Poly lenses in various frames for the past 20 years mostly in copper/amber. Most recently, I had been using the fathom with580p. My wife got me a pair with 580g for Christmas. IMHO, there is a huge difference inshore with the 580g giving better resolution than the 580p even in shallow water. Looking forward to trying them offshore.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast