El Cheapo 2012.... The saga continues with monster sheepshead!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

El Cheapo 2012.... The saga continues with monster sheepshead!

I saw someone brought the "Bling bling" flounder post back up.... I didnt want to respond to an old report, but it gave me some inspiration..... I've been lying a little "dormant" lately. Not that I havnt been fishing, just figured (with suggestion) the report section could use a little break. Its been a double whammy lately with my main sheep herding partner becoming increasingly camera shy as we near the tourney! Quality fish have never been thrown overboard quicker than this seasons sheepshead!

Anyhoo, we have been going to great lengths to find these most delectable demersals.... you guys remember when it was absolutely freezing last week? I mean, seriously hard freezing even at the beaches? Well, we still went out. It became pretty obvious we were nuts when we realised we were the only boat at the Mayport ramp on a saturday.
    However, it made for a humorous video...

(click to watch)

Yep, we were trying to find sheepshead, even on the coldest day of the year!

But as I was saying earlier, the old flounder post made me want to do a recap..... just like the flounder run this year, the sheepshead fishing has been pretty good too. We started earlier than usual, and have been on them since the flounder run began to come to a close.

We've caught some good fish this season...

that make me remember studs from years past-

Along the way this year, we've shared some of our best secrets...

And listened with ears and eyes wide open to your reports too!

No doubt.... I love to sheepshead fish! I get it from my stepdad, who is so crazy about sheepshead fishing that he keeps a big fiddler farm nearly year 'round! Still to this day, when we pull up at the spot, you can visibly see his hands shaking as he pins that first fiddler. His hands are shaking with excitement!

We fish the El Cheapo every single year and always have a blast. For the last couple years, Ive sponsored 13th place, which even that pays $300! I look forward to handing one of you the check, hopefully it will be one of my forum bros!

Pics from the last few years El Cheapo tournies-
    Two years ago, my better half outfished me and the old man by not only catching the first one, but caught the biggest fish of the day too!

Hmmmm.... which makes me note from her skin showing what great weather we had that year!

Then there was last year, we caught a mess of 'em, but nothing that would place.

So I wanna wish you all the best of luck for the tourney..... but please, please let all my practicing pay off this year, lol! Theres no more reason to be secret any longer.... on tourney day, let that film roll! Show us your fish, and tell us how you caught your big ones!

With that being said.... I leave you with this one we caught on our last trip a few days ago. Luis didnt wanna post this incase someone saw us in "the spot", but its okay. The truth is, even to this moment, after countless sheep sessions and endless networking, we still have no idea where we are gonna fish! We cant even decide what zipcode to fish......

(This must have been the only one there)-

We've been chasing them since last year from the main river, up into the creeks and then back out into the river again, and still have no real solid results yet. There have been multiple fish caught over 12lbs in the last week! (Not by us, but check out your favorite tackle shop to see for yourself, one tackle shop has had two over 12lbs, certified wieghts) There was even a 14, yes, a 14lb fish caught by one of the best guides in the river recently, but the story never made it here.!

I figured this would be a hot topic the next few days so I wanted to do one last sheepie post before tourny time.... while Im certainly no expert, I will be glad to answer any (within reason, lol!) questions any of you may have. I know there are gonna be many a "lurker" reading this post in the next few days, dont be scared, come join the forum fun and post up!

Tight lines guys and gals....see ya at the captains meeting friday!
    Last edited by Boattronics; 02-22-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Good post. I went out yesterday and got skunked. It was demoralizing. I wish everyone tight lines for the tourney.
    "Reel Minions"

See you Friday

Good post, great read

Good Luck to eveyone!

Arun

Quality fish Tony! Makes me wonder why you would ever want to fish down here when the fishing up there is heads and tails better IMO.

It could be a banner event with some big fish brought in. The S winds have been blowing and it looks like the big'uns are starting to filter in already. Good luck to all! Lots of water to cover no doubt!

Thats some good 'head! Good luck in the tourney! It's seems Jax has sheepshead mania!

Quote Originally Posted by R_Salt View Post
    Good post. I went out yesterday and got skunked. It was demoralizing. I wish everyone tight lines for the tourney.
    Thanks brotha..... anyone that says they never get skunked is a liar, lol. I just try to pretend like those days never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterMarsh View Post
    See you Friday
    Im buying the drinks afterwards for anyone in the side bet.... did any of you hear what I did to Drew from the Ledge Lady the night before the tourney? He just kept taking those shots.... and ended up sleeping the day away in the cabin during the tourney! Super secret strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by Slough View Post
    Good post, great read
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arunram View Post
    Good Luck to eveyone!

Arun
    Good luck to you too my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brian View Post
    Quality fish Tony! Makes me wonder why you would ever want to fish down here when the fishing up there is heads and tails better IMO.

It could be a banner event with some big fish brought in. The S winds have been blowing and it looks like the big'uns are starting to filter in already. Good luck to all! Lots of water to cover no doubt!
    Thanks..... I would have visited you guys a bit more this year had the water cleared up a bit more. Oh well. I was very surprised to see how much more spooked the fish were this year, seems several new guides are really hammering them.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGUY View Post
    Thats some good 'head! Good luck in the tourney! It's seems Jax has sheepshead mania!
    Thank you, you too! No doubt..... home of the biggest sheepshead tourney in the world!

Theres something specail about sheepshead fishing to me.... it can be a very technical and challenging type of fishing. When you pull that big 'head out of impossible structure after a tough fight, its just grand.

Ive got a few messages about the knocker rig I pictured. This is my favorite rig in most conditions. In shallower water with less current, I like a light jig. If the fish are being more picky than usual, I use a standard fishfinder rig with 4-6" of leader. If the fish are suspended off of structure in deeper water, I use a 3 way swivel or chicken rig, and make adjustments to how high up my bait sits untill I start whacking them.

Interesting observation-
    I found that in most conditions, the most expensive, light leaders get no more bites than if I tied my braid straight to the hook, some may find this hard to believe but its true. However, you can bet tourney day I will be pulling out all the stops and my lines will all have Yo-Zuri or Seaguar leader on them.

My favorite hook, and I feel like Ive tried them all, is a red Gamakgatsu 2/0 octopus, also borrowed from my inshore machine buddy Luis.

I hope some of this will help any newbies out there searching for info right now, again, feel free to ask any questions I may be able to help with.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Great read and pics, thanks Tony

Man Tony, with all this knowledge, side bets, postings, etc..... I hope you make it on the leader board my man! lol

Paul good to see you posting again. Maiden voyage on the new flats boat in the AM looking for some sheepies...... I will let you know whe I have it ready!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast