Saint Lucie Inlet....2-18-12

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Saint Lucie Inlet....2-18-12

got the call from my buddy who wasn't feeling well on the way to the ramp so when I got there I just threw it in and took off. Made it to the North Spot by 6:15 and was looking for baits before sunup. I could only find Hornbellies here and proceeded to check the buoys to no avail. Hit Bullshark and nada...Went back by the inlet and managed to pick one pilchard up after dozens of bellies..Said screw it and kept a few Hornbellies and headed out to 200 where I found a nice rip/weedline. Being solo I just threw out one Hornbelly and began to prepare my trolling spread. Just a few minutes I look back and a sail is hot after my Hornbelly...It's a 560 Penn Liveliner and man did this fish kick my butt on it. Had me driving the boat and trying to reel him in at the same time. Took longer than I would have liked but eventually I was able to get him boatside...As I grabbed my leader he shook one more time and broke off at the hook. See ya. I drifted some more hornbellies with one more bite but it came off before I could tell what it was.

Started trolling the line with a Wahoo lure down deep, another lure on my flatline and two skirted hoo's off the riggers. Worked that line for most of the morning and managed to get two nice fins off it. I was back in my 1:00 and still hurting from that Sailfish! I have some video of it but it needs to be edited up...

Here are the fins when I came home...

Solid solo trip! I bet your buddy is wishing he would have gone.

LOL....Yup as usual. It seems every time someone cancels I have a good day. I even told him that when he called in the morning...

Honestly I was really wishing someone was around when I was fighting the Sail.

Vinnie,

GREAT JOB solo!!!!!

I thought I saw you alone.. man.. I wished you would have come with us. Let's plan on it ok?

It was great seeing you out there .. thanks for hailing us!

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Not easy chasing a sail down while fighting it at the same time. Nice work and phins too!

Great job! especially solo.
    We heard you on the radio out there.
    Excellent day.

Good solo trip and some great eats for a few dinners. The strangest or best crap seems to happen when you are alone and there is no one to "high five" or verify the weird occurrence. Sounds like a good excuse for a GoPro.
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/OceanMotion200/Howie2.jpg

Nice fins Vinny. Congrats on another Sailfish... You have been catching them every trip it seems... Thanks for the report.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

sounds like an awesome day out there. cant wait to see the video

Great post, Sounds like a fun solo trip you had there, good job on the fins and the sail!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast