Flamingo 2-16-12

Florida Sportsman

Flamingo 2-16-12

Got on the water and was treated to an incredible sunrise. It was one of those days where everything just works. Had a low incoming tide all morning and a high outgoing all afternoon. Staked out on my first spot and hammered the trout and ladyfish. It was a bite on almost every cast. Couldn't even tell you how many I caught. Started hurling the Gulp, but quickly switched to a DOA shrimp because the bite was so hot I wanted to save the less durable Gulp. I probably could have thrown my car keys in there and got bit.

Decided to make a move and fish a mangrove shoreline on the last 45 minutes of the tide. Started hurling the gold spoon and caught 4 redfish before the tide slacked off.

Made a long move to a bank to the east of the lodge to try and find a big shark to screw with. Put a ladyfish down and soon had a screaming run. However the 10/0 circle hook failed to find its mark, a very uncommon occurance.

Put another ladyfish down and had another big run. This time the circle hook hit home and a massive spinner shark exploded from the water and proceeded to do its best imitation of a tarpon, spending more time in the air than in the water. The big shark uncorked a scorching run and quickly snatched half of the 50lb braid on the Trini 16n before breaking me off on a wild leap.

Had all kinds of pics but my phone bit the green weiner and I lost everything. It was still a great day.

Great report. Spinner are a lot of fun out of a kayak. Hope to get the OK from the Dr. and be able to fish in a few weeks. The spinners are thick in Palm Beach.

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great time. Good to hear about reds in Flamingo again.