Shrimping questions?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shrimping questions?

When is the best time to go shrimping? how do you know when they are going to run? Will you get more searching in grass flats, or shrimp off a ledge with lights and a dip net? I live by biscayne bay.. I went out twice last week and saw maybe 5 both days combined...

Are you using bait? Get a bag of Fish Meal from Ace Hardware. Fill a couple 5 Gal buckets with clay. Mix fish meal thoroughly into the clay. Form the batch into jumbo 'hamburger patties'. Save the leftover clay you haven't mixed with fish meal for your next trip. Scatter these patties over the area you will be casting your net. Catch Scrizumpsks.

Thanks for the tip.. I'll try this out and hopefully see some shrimp!

The best time to go shrimping in that area is when the water temp is about 66 to 69 Deg,s also a few days during and after a full moon. We did well this year during january in the Goverment cut turning basin with dip nets and a cast net. We filled up a five gallon bucket in about two hours for about 5 days strait and a lot of extra large shrimp in the mix. I make my own dip nets, all hand made you can see them on Craigs List. This is an activity that the entire family can enjoy ether from a boat or from sea wall. Hope this helps..

you want to get set up at high tide & wait for the outgoing. find a spot where the current moves through quickly. we use hydro glows or you can even use smaller submersible florescent lights sold at bass pro. be sure to bring an extra battery if you don't have at least two on the boat. set up on the falling side of a bridge or dockage. I recently found a great spot in Miami two weeks ago. It can be very hit or miss & you can miss the run be one night. We went on a Wednesday night & did well, then my buddies went again Friday & got an appitizer, then the following Monday they RAN!!! Heard of some commercial boats getting 1400+lbs. Just like anything else if you put your time in you'll find them. If I can be of more help just ask, I'm no expert just a guy that likes to drink beer & stare at the water.

Thank you castaways and flyers, you inspired me to go shrimping on saturday and they were real thick.. Set up at high tide with my flashlight and dip net caught a lot for a good 2 hours.. Finally had some luck this year.. Check it out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	21505

Great job! Now turn those into this....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	21519

Ya know what drives me crazy?
    Restaurant shrimp with the mud veins still in them! Ewwww!!!
    When I was a teenage deckhand, I was taught to hold a jumbo shrimp in each hand and pinch the heads off with my thumbnail, and the mud vein remained attached and was flicked away along with the head.
    Have our seafood providers forgotten this technique?

Brute, I'd like to know your method. As much as I love shrimp the deveining is so damn tedious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast