Cooking Nurse Shark

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cooking Nurse Shark

Anyone have any experiences, suggestions, and/or reciepes for nurse shark prep and cooking? I've never kept one but the book rates them "excellent" table fare.

Thanks
    Dave

Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    I've had it a couple of times and thought it was the best shark I had ever eaten (well, maybe, next to mako). All the times, it was prepared nearly the same: salt, pepper and a little paprika. Grilled and served with lemon and drawn butter. It really does have a shellfish taste to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ruskinredneck View Post
    I've had it a couple of times and thought it was the best shark I had ever eaten (well, maybe, next to mako). All the times, it was prepared nearly the same: salt, pepper and a little paprika. Grilled and served with lemon and drawn butter. It really does have a shellfish taste to it.
    As with all sharks, marinate for 24 hours..sharks urinate through the skin! I had it last year, soaked the filets totally submerged in buttermilk for 24 hrs, seasoned as above but used kosher/sea salt instead of regular salt. The shark meat tasted like a giant scallop :full

Quote Originally Posted by amigho View Post
    As with all sharks, marinate for 24 hours..sharks urinate through the skin! I had it last year, soaked the filets totally submerged in buttermilk for 24 hrs, seasoned as above but used kosher/sea salt instead of regular salt. The shark meat tasted like a giant scallop :full

This is why it best to gut the shark while it on the gafe. Get the blader out before it dies and releses what in the blader.

be careful when doing this a 7 footer can easily remove body parts. So make sure its held good I like the gaffe thru the mouth so it can close

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
    This is why it best to gut the shark while it on the gafe. Get the blader out before it dies and releses what in the blader.
    This....

Most sharks are very good table fare, some better than others, Black Tip, Nurse and mako obviously come to mind. The main thing about harvisting a shark to eat is how they are handled AS SOON as they are landed/boated, immediately kill them with a knife through the brain, then completely gut them and in the ice- not just on but in the ice. You will find that they are one of the most "steakish" but flakey and tender fish you've eaten.

Anyrthing 4' or less I fillet, over 4-5' becomes suspect to me but can still eat very well if they are handled correctly.

Youwill not find a better fish to smoke or make fish dip out of.

Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    I thought nurse and makos were the only ones that didn't urinate through their skin?

There was another thread on this subject recently. People get really mad when you talk about eating sharks

I have been told that they are very good, just cut out the two dorsal loins and have at it.

I occasionally catch them while surf fishing and I keep telling myself to try one... but God help it I can't eat anything that UGLY

Quote Originally Posted by lunch money surf View Post
    There was another thread on this subject recently. People get really mad when you talk about eating sharks

I have been told that they are very good, just cut out the two dorsal loins and have at it.

I occasionally catch them while surf fishing and I keep telling myself to try one... but God help it I can't eat anything that UGLY
    I have eaten nurse shark, but of all the sharks, it seems you waste a lot of meat, unless you have other things you can do with it. But for steaks, LMS is right. The best ones are behind the cavity and when you cut out a whole 1+ inch thick steak, you will immediately see that it makes sense to further reduce this into 4 medallions of meat. It's just the way the critter is built. You will also se that due to how the shark is made, that quite quickly, those medallions become very small. There may be enough meat for 4 or more people in the tail, but having each person's serving look remotely similar, is nigh impossible. There is good meat above the cavity, but you're going to have to discect that out.

All that said, nurse shark is delicious....one of the best I have eaten. The meat is white and flaky and possibly a little more moist than other sharks. I am thinking it would be great in a fish chowder. I already know that the leftovers from grilling make a great fish salad. Just use with your favorite tuna recipe.

Wow, I'll have to try the next one that eats a grouper bait. Do you bleed them or anything on the water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast