New Sustain? - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sustain?

Just giving you guys a hard time.

I just bought 2 10 K and 1 5 K. The bigger 10 K I plan to use for vertical jigging and the other for my big cobia rod. The 5K I will use for heavy inshore fishing (bridges for snook) and light off shore (yellowtail or pitch rod for dolphin). I want to get a 3000 for my go to inshore flats set up for reds, trout, snook, and pompano. Theses reels are so light and hold a ton of braid. I can't wait to use them. I ordered them online with Melton Tackle international. I should see my delivery by Thursday!! I already have 1 10 K I bought from T and R tackle in Ft. Lauderdale. It's sitting nicely for now on my 9 ft cobia rod.

anrgyangler...I also plan on buying a 10k for jigging. And a 4k for the flats. I didnt know TR carried them already and since I live down the street from them I might have to jump on it. Why didint you buy the other one at T&R? Did they only have one?

bantam1 - why the EVA foam knobs on the new sustain?? I would pay a reasonable amount more to go with the Stella style handles/knobs or even the older sustain knobs. Also, what gives on the lack of a spare spool? Loved that about the older fe's as well. Aside from that, I'd say it's another winner from Shimano. My Stella's will have some new stablemates soon

We went with EVA to be different and to help reduce weight. It's also proving to be more durable. The spools are expensive. Due to the poor exchange rates we eliminated the spare spools to maintain better pricing. Just like the Stella.

That makes sense, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't actively search for an aftermarket non-EVA knob ;)

how much would replacement eva knob for the 5k be?

Quote Originally Posted by tj5485 View Post
    anrgyangler...I also plan on buying a 10k for jigging. And a 4k for the flats. I didnt know TR carried them already and since I live down the street from them I might have to jump on it. Why didint you buy the other one at T&R? Did they only have one?

The 10K has held up well for land based tarpon. I do wish they had kept the 8k in the lineup, watching the 10k spool eat up 450yds of 40lb hollow core was enough to make me want to cry, but I had several fish last year that I had to break off with the limited capacity of the 6K.

Dirty,

That is good to hear. I just purchased two 10000s to update my tarpon gear. Hope they fit the bill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12