Sinking line question

Florida Sportsman

Question Sinking line question

Help????

Lots of questions?

I need a fly rod that can throw a 400 to 500 grain sinking line with a simple clouser fly

What Action is best for throwing a Sinking 450 grain sinking line Moderate, Mod/Fast, Fast, Ex-Fast,

graphite or glass better for heavy sinking line?

What weight rod do I need 8wt, 9wt, 10wt?

This set up will be for spawning saltwater striped bass up a fresh water river, fish average 17-23 inches, the water is moving 2-5mph, and most of the fish will be caught starting around 6ft down and all the way to the bottom............ river averages 15ft deep or so........in the spring when the fish are there.......However river height and flow are very dependant on weather it is a wet or dry spring.........

I just know from talking to sucessful fly fisherman on this river in previous years most are throwing a 400 to 500 grain sinking line most are drifting down stream in a boat, Some will anchor in selected spots.........but the vast majority just drift right down the middle of the river, casting out waiting for there line to sink and then stripping short quick strips as fast as they possible can, using clouser flies.

Also what TYPE/STYLE/TAPER............Weight forward, sinking tip only.........or a fly line where the entire line sinks at a uniform rate!

Im confused

any help will be appreciated

Thanks

The grain weight of a tungsten line isn't necessarily the same thing as the sink rate. You can easily track down a typeVI sinking head in 300 grains that will sink twice as fast as a typeIII 550 grain head. For the time being I'd say you'll be better off starting with an integrated line, either the T-series or TS-series from teeny. No matter which line you decide to go with, make sure you get one with a floating running line, otherwise you won't be able to mend and that massive belly in your drift is going to cost you alot of fish. At 15' of depth, and 2-5mph current I would say a 9/10wt with a teeny TS-350 would be a good place to start. And very few density compensated lines are tapered, you don't really cast them, you just load it up and let it fly. The teeny line I recommended has a 30' density compensated head with an 70' floating running line, and I usually fish them with a straight shot of 40lb flouro about 4-5' long. As far as rods go, it's really your call. I prefer slow/mod action rods with a little extra length for line pickup. My 1096 RP is still my favorite jetty rod.
    Last edited by Ol'DirtyCaster; 02-13-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Just as an add should you decide you want to go with a shooting head/running line system, the rio T-14 is going to be the most cost effective density compensated head you're going to find, and lots of places sell it by the foot (26' loads up a 1090 Xi2 beautifully) . Don't let anybody tell you that lead core works fine, it doesn't. And as far as running lines go, nothing is more user freindly than braided mono (gudebrod, cortland, or airflo). Airflo makes a product called miracle braid, that is a braided mono running line with a GSP core (doesn't bind up and has zero stretch). I don't know why it took so long for someone to come up with that one but it's the best running line I've ever used hands down. I have a Cortland Jet 30lb running line that could use a home, I think it's god awful stuff, but I fish with a guy regularly who thinks it's the best thing to come along since sliced bread. Let me know if you want it.

Thank You Dirt Caster for taking time and sharing info with me!

I appreciate it A LOT!