Pros/cons of a 4 day school week?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Pros/cons of a 4 day school week?

Watching the news and there is a County in West Central that is looking into a 4 day school week.
    I guess they are currently discussing it and had an open forum to explain/discuss it last night.
    There were parents at the forum that are against it, but they didn't say why.

I would be for a 4 day school week. I would also be for a 4 day work week for businesses that are able to. I currently work 3 days a week (3-12 hour shifts) and love it.
    I think it would work better for us since my wife is a stay at home Mom. We wouldn't have to find someone to watch our kids on the 5th day that would normally be a day when parents are both working.

Senior Member Sopchoppy Redneck's Avatar
    I think that if American kids are going to compete against the rest of the world, they need a 7 DAY School Week not fewer days!!!!!!!

Lots of the big, rectangular states out west have four day school weeks because of the distances between towns, ranches, farms........miles of bussing.....hours of riding the bus.

All those communities seem to make it work just fine......then again those are rural communities with strong work ethics and many stay at home moms.

My kids have too much free time now.

If the country went to a 4 day work week it would be more doable.

On a bog with birds, foxes, squirrels, and snakes
    Could be good, could be bad.

We ain't a farm state (by population), we are a service state. We need longer school hrs. When did school become a 9-1 thing? Mine was 7:30 to 2ish if you weren't in a work program. Parents dont teach at home either. 4 day is a horrible idea for everyone except farmers that need the labor.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

My daughters school is 8-3.
    Are there really schools that are 9-1 ?

Is your kid in pre-k or something?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTater View Post
    We ain't a farm state (by population), we are a service state. We need longer school hrs. When did school become a 9-1 thing? Mine was 7:30 to 2ish if you weren't in a work program. Parents dont teach at home either. 4 day is a horrible idea for everyone except farmers that need the labor.
    The rational is the money they could save on Gas for buses, electrictity (heating cooling etc), water, etc by being closed that 5th day. Makes sense from the $$ standpoint but not by any other that I can think of.

Can you imagine the extra cost? The liberals would then want the "Government" to pay for child care and meals on the fifth day.....
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast