Shark fishing Sanibel

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shark fishing Sanibel

New to the forum. Went out shark fishing the other day on my new pathfinder 17t. My wife and I set up a chum slick near C span hoping to try and find some nice sized shark to entertain us for the day. Didnt want to travel to far seeing it was the 17t first trip out. Didn't see anything of great size but we were able to hook into a few nice sized bonetheads before heading in to the ramp. Any one got any sharkin advice on were to set up for some bigger fish Im all ears. Would really like to find some inshore spots protected from wave and wind for my 17t doesn't like the chop all that much. River spots? San Carlos bay spots? Would love to hear some advice.
    Thanks All, Ill be heading out tomorrow and will be sure to post

Most of the shark fishing I have done at Sanibel has been from the beach. We hooked some monsters that we couldn't turn, even with beefy tackle. Pulled our share of 5'-8' onto the beach.
    I would fish about 100-200 yards off the Lighthouse Beach on the south end- more toward the ocean than the river. Sunset till about midnight. We always used big bait, whole live ladyfish, whiting, spanish mackerel, etc. Large cut bait worked well also, but sometimes the catfish wont leave you alone.
    Only once have I hooked a fish around that bridge with some size. It spooled me and I never saw it, so it might not have been a shark. After a while I quit fishing the spans and focused on the beach. There is just more fish there IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by waterskunk View Post
    New to the forum. Went out shark fishing the other day on my new pathfinder 17t. My wife and I set up a chum slick near C span hoping to try and find some nice sized shark to entertain us for the day. Didnt want to travel to far seeing it was the 17t first trip out. Didn't see anything of great size but we were able to hook into a few nice sized bonetheads before heading in to the ramp. Any one got any sharkin advice on were to set up for some bigger fish Im all ears. Would really like to find some inshore spots protected from wave and wind for my 17t doesn't like the chop all that much. River spots? San Carlos bay spots? Would love to hear some advice.
    Thanks All, Ill be heading out tomorrow and will be sure to post
    First things first make sure you have a fishing rod and reel that will handle large sharks, if your going to fish from a boat 500 yards of line will be fine because you can give chase but I prefere 750+ yards of line. A penn 6/0 senator with 500 yards of 65lb powerpro with 200yards of 50lb mono topshot is a cheap and good setup. Your leader is the 2nd most important part and is the difference between catching 1 or 2 sharks per trip to non-stop shark action all day! First is the hook I like to use a 10/0-12/0 Owner 4x strong Circle hook, then haywire twist to about a 2ft section of 170lb single strand wire. ***I know alot of people use multi-strand cable but dont because the sharks can sense all that metal and you will catch less fish with it**** next another haywire twist to a 200lb "ball bearing swivle" (very important that its ball bearing) then using aluminum crimps, crimp on a 12ft section of 200lb mono leader then crimp another ball bearing swivle then tie that to your main line. That rig is hands down the best shark rig you can use and will catch anything from a 4ft baby shark to a 17ft hammerhead.

Next is your bait, big "live" mullet is an all around amazing bait, live spanish mackeral, live bluefish, live jacks, live blue runners, stingray and bonita are the best baits and are best used ALIVE! Ladyfish are ok but they tend to die fast but they will still work.

Now that you have your rig and bait you need to know where to go. Find the deepest spots in a channel or bay where there is good current, sharks use that as their highways in and out of the passes. Anchor up current of your spot and put your bait out, you want it near the bottom, if your bait wont stay down on its own then use a rubber band and attach a weight to the bottom swivle so when a shark hits the rubber band/weight will break away. There is no need to use chum if you are using something alive for bait, chum in these areas just attracts catfish.

When I get home I will put some pictures up of what my rig looks like so you can see. This method is the best way to catch sharks on the west coast of florida.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11111.jpg  
    Last edited by mcfishy; 07-06-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks for posting the rig MC, we've fished BG Pass for years and never messed with the sharks but might have to stick a few next year.
    Capt. Kevin Brotz
    WWW.GETBITOUTDOORS.COM

-Custom Rod Building Supply & Rod Building Academy
    -Learn to Build and Repair your own Rods! -Monthly Classes & Free Videos!!

If your fishing from the beach where would you put the weight with that rig?

Quote Originally Posted by binder077 View Post
    If your fishing from the beach using dead or cut bait I would have the weight attached to the swivle closest to the hook, but make sure to rig it as a breakaway weight with a rubberband or copper rigging wire.

If you are fishing live bait from he beach I would not use any weight at all, just let the fish swim and a shark will find him. Best LIVE bait from the beach is blue runner, mackeral, redfish or a trout, you cant go wrong with any of those baits but 12 inch plus mullet is hands down best bait. Try to wound them a bit too, cut their peck fins off or cut some of their tail off, make them just swim funny and they will get eaten quickly.
    Last edited by mcfishy; 07-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Kevin Brotz View Post
    Thanks for posting the rig MC, we've fished BG Pass for years and never messed with the sharks but might have to stick a few next year.
    Dont wait til next year, big pass is my best shark fishing spot and is good to fish until the water dips below 68deg, 400+lb bull sharks are all over that pass, plus lots of hammerheads and black tips. Fish on the inside of the pass right next to south lido beach, there is an area in there that is 22ft deep and the sharks us that as their highway! Several years ago I caught a 60lb cobia while shark fishing there....... you just never know what your going to get!

********EDIT****

I thought you said "Big Pass" I now see it was "BG" pass......my bad
    BG pass is very good too, much bigger sharks because they eat tarpon, use a live stingray in the pass and hold the F**K on!
    Last edited by mcfishy; 07-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Are you new to sharking?

Quote Originally Posted by binder077 View Post
    I used homemade spider weights and kayaked out the bait.

Thanks for all the advice guys, your detailed response is sure to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast