Good solid flyfishing day north Indian river.

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good solid flyfishing day north Indian river.

I launched, at the 406 bridge, and went south, around peacoks pocket. I have never been to this place, thought I would give it a try. The day was perfect, not a ripple on the water all day.
    caught nothing big, but I had a blast. All I used all day, was my 7 Weight, and 1 fly, a white shrimp looking fly. I end up with 5 Reds, from 17" to 25", and 12 Trout, from 17" to 22". I had the hook pull out on two upper slot Reds, and 4 big Trout, and I lined a coulple of tailers, oops. The most fun though, was sight fishing Trout. I caught 7 20" or bigger 1 at 22" 2 at 21" and 4 20". What a hoot,
    they would explode on the fly, and take off as soon as they felt the hook. After the poor 2011 year
    of fishing, I needed a good trip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redfly.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	20022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superd4.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	20023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superd6.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	20024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superd8.jpg 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	20025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superd7.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	20026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superd11.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	20027
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superd1.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	20029
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails superd2.jpg  
    Last edited by SUPER D; 02-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.

It was really nice out today, me and a freind went out on the banana and caught some really nice fish. Tails and backs were everywhere.

I went out 2-5, I can't remember a day so nice,it felt like June. The 25" Red, I could see coming 150 yards away, only in around 7" of water. It's hole back was out of water, I had to poll like a mad man, to get in range.

Nice speck and reds, congrats!

Fished the lagoon on 2/5 caught a few reds but sooo many tails that wouldn't eat, great conditions though. you had an awesome day! I love when exploring new areas turns out well

Quote Originally Posted by jumboshrimp View Post
    Fished the lagoon on 2/5 caught a few reds but sooo many tails that wouldn't eat, great conditions though. you had an awesome day! I love when exploring new areas turns out well

I had planed on fishing ML, I have not been to the lagoon, in over a year. I went to the ramps, to find paid parking, and I only had $1.00 cash on me. I get direct deposit, so I seldom have cash. I had planed to fish southwest, of haulover, and when the wind picked up, go to Indian river. I might have lucked out. Jumbo, I must say, you are a fine angler, and picked up flyfishing fast. Your reports are looked forward to. How far can you see fish, (that are not tailing) from your yack? and just how shallow can you float? All that I caught Sunday, were in less than 1', and the 25" Red was only in about 7". I was stalking a nice Red, on the shore line, and had to push through 5.5" to get to it, and then I lined it OOPS.

I'd say not having $5 was the best thing that could have happened to you lol. And thank you very much, not being cocky but fly fishing just really came naturally it is such a blast. I have been finding fish ridiculously shallow lately, like you said 7" and some even shallower. The trick though comes in deeper water, sight fishing for non tailing fish in 2ft while sitting down is different but in a kayak if I'm mindful of the wind and sun I can get right on top of fish (and pretty much have to to be able to see them) then its all about moving slow and not raising the rod high... I really prefer finding them shallow in a yak though and I can push myself along in basically wet grass and I haven't missed too many meals in my life.
    what sort of boat are you in? is that trolling motor powered or is that the bow? 5.5" is plenty shallow I love seeing them cruising with their whole backs out of the water but its hard not to slap a few whether fly or spin fishing.
    I havent done much in the Indian River but this report has me motivated to give it a shot

It's a 15' Alumacraft tunnel. When I fish alone, I use a cooler on front casting deck full of water, around 145#. It will float cleanly, in 6" this way, maybe a little shallower with a 200# person on front. If I stand on side of platform, taking deadrise out, I can push it through around 5.5" dragging bottom.
    https://sites.google.com/site/thejonboatadvantage/

Those are some nice fish....especially the trout!

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2013 Ankona Native SUV 17

awesome fish on the fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast