Yankee Capts Grouper Closure 1/27-1/29
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankee Capts Grouper Closure 1/27-1/29

Ok here we go
    So my trip starts on thursday morning leaving miami heading to key west,on the way down I stop at couple of bait shops and fish a few bridges for pinfish,greenies and ballyhoos.So I get to the mutton slaying machine AKA The Yankee Capts at 5pm and started loading all the gear at 6pm when Capt Greg clears us to board,it was non stop from there rigging and making sure everything is in place.AT 10pm the boat departs and I figured we would be there a little later than usual considering that we were fishing the gulf for groupers.We start fishing at 4:30am and it was a steady bite all morning friday,we were getting an average of 2 totes per stop,we fished mostly 100-130 ft all day around 5:00pm the pool winning fish comes up a 45-50lb cubera snapper,sorry but dont remember the anglers name.
    cubera.jpg
    SO then we fished all friday night and Capt MATT finds a new honey hole we get about 3 totes there,going into saturday early morning the bite was steady and the muttons were hitting the rails.If you put time into it you caught nice fish,I see allot of people in the back yellowtailing,yes the yellowtails were thick but I was not there for them.
    yellowtail.jpg
    So now its saturday morning and Capt Greg takes over,,he takes us to a deep spot in 220ft and we get a bunch of yelloweyes and pull up a nice mutton,but we had to leave because the boat was swinging all over the place.The bite slows down around midday and capt Greg decided to make a long move,so I decide to troll,After an hour or so we are all inside watching tv and my reel starts to sing,so I run and see the line just peeling off,so chad runs upstairs and ask Capt Greg to please stop the boat,the boat stops and line is still peeling off,Finally Im able to reel in but dont feel any tension,keep on reel and still nothing,I thought I had lost it as Josh starts to hand line my leader he feels the fish then we see it a nice wahoo,Josh and Chad go to work,Josh hand lines while chad Gaffs it.Yes!!! 40lbs wahoo onboard.THANKS GREG FOR STOPPING THE BOAT.
    wahoo.jpg
    wahoo 2.jpg
    So back to fishing, Capt Greg hits a hotspot saturday afternoon in 170ft and we pull up about 15 muttons there, I get 4 and then it shuts off after about 20 min,funny how those muttons are like a light switch.
    mutton.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    From there the trip pretty much went down hill,that cold front killed the bite,saturday night into sunday morning was cold and very windy,we caught mostly yellowtails and an occasional mutton,2 goliaths we brought up as well and ofcoure released.At the end of the trip I think I counted 29 totes,really good trip but could have been better if most people would have stuck to mutton fishing,I dont think that I saw many if any people that got mutton limits but they sure were happy with there yellowtails .
    I ended up with my mutton limit,2 firetruck red,3 kingfish,1 scamp and a 40 lb wahoo.
    catch 2.jpg
    To everyone out there that has not fished the dry tortugas yet,give THE YANKEE CAPTS a call you will not be let down and for all you regulars,well you know whats up,lol,keep on coming on the MUTTON SLAYING MACHINE.
    To the mates Josh,Chad,Linden and Joe in the galley,thank you very much for your max effort
    and a very special thank you to Capt Greg and Capt Matt for your expertise as always
    see you guys in may
    Last edited by bite my bait; 01-31-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Nice report!

Thanks for posting. I had a fun weekend too.

Greg

Cool trip! Bonus wahoo!

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years

Nice trip

Excellent report and very well formated, made me fell like I was there.
    Capt Bill

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years

Nice trip

Excellent report and very well formated, made me feel like I was there.
    Capt Bill

awesome job....how fast was the boat running when u "high speed trolled" for that wahoo?

Maybe 10-12 knots

Great report , and congrats on the hoo !!

Excellent report and good eating. What a spectrum of substantial player. to the YC.

Some nice fish there guys ,wish i could of made it . Next time .Good job bricks and Fleet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast