Ever wonder if there is really a Banana Curse?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ever wonder if there is really a Banana Curse?

I had a buddy flying in from Michigan (Al), another coming in from Tampa (Reeves), one coming down from Ft Myers (George), and My buddy Josh who I fish with all the time here in Miami all set up and ready to go make a trip to Bimini to HST for some Wahoo. I had spent the two previous weeks working (and Freezing) in Chicago and was in Need of a warm relaxing weekend. Plus Having gone 8-8 on 30-40 pound hoo's on our last trip to Bimini 3 weeks ago we all had high hopes for a fun and fishy weekend.

As we are loading the boat up on Friday afternoon one of the guys hands me some trash and amongst the piles of empty beer boxes I see it.... All yellow, slimy, and looking more ominous than the death card at some tarot card reading... Yep- you guessed it-A banana peel It was as if I had just looked the Grim Reaper in the eye and heard him chuckle.

I can't believe my eyes- Could it be? Really? none of the guys on my boat are stupid enough to eat a banana on board are they? So I yell out- "What the heck!! Did someone really just eat a banana"? To which I hear a proud response from Reeves "Yeah I did, I need my Potassium since we'll be drinking all weekend". My head bows, my eyes fill with water how could this be happening? This was supposed to be a fun weekend full of Wahoo, alcohol and good times... I just bought a brand new deep drop outfit for crying out loud. I should be loading the boat with fish and now newbie the knucklehead is eating bananas on my boat. Please God let this be a dream...

Needless to say we venture across as planned Friday afternoon. The ride over winds up being 3-5 which was a little worse than planned but still perfectly manageable and easy enough. Unfortunately, we didn't see hide nor hair of a bird, flying fish, debris or anything on our way over. Hmmm, is this the start of a banana curse? We arrive in Bimini without issue but as we are unpacking we notice there is a backpack missing, and unfortunately the one that got left behind was mine. Ok- I can deal with that but again I'm left wondering is this another result of Reeves Banana!

We then decided to head out and get in a couple of hours of HST'ing as the sun sets. It's an incoming tide so we don't have too high of expectations but figure maybe we will pick up one or two fish that feed with the setting sun. Nothing, not a bite, not a knock down, not a hint of a fish. Oh well, we sell ourselves on the idea that the fishing will just be that much better on the morning outgoing tide... I'm not going to let this banana thing get me down. It's just a little bit of slow fishing and somehow we forgot my bag thats all.

Saturday Morning:
    We get up Bright and early and have lines in by first light. Fish the outgoing tide all the way down to Riding Rock with only one 4 pound barracuda that we caught out in 500 Feet during a turn... We then head back North after the incoming started and decided to try a few deep drop spots and the new outfit. Fortunately that paid off for us and we were able to put some good fish in the box from that effort. Thank goodness we are not going to go home empty handed!! After deep dropping we went into our favorite spot on Cat Cay to get a couple of drinks only to find the bar was closed for the next couple of hours. . Yep- I blame the Banana for that one as well. Then we decided to do some Grouper digging on the way back to Bimini but once again struck out without a single Bite

Sunday Morning we figure that surely the bad luck has worn off by now- Full of optimism we head down to the boat. Now mind you- the boat just came out of service in preparation for the trip. I put the first key in and am greeted with a veritable orchestra of beeps and alarms from the port engine. What the F*)& is going on now? Low voltage alarms- Bad Battery... But at least the engine started... Fire up the starboard engine, Thank goodness it starts! Oh wait- it just stalled!!! What the?? Let me try it again.... Nope- all she does is turn over . After an hour of problem diagnosis (which For the record I have to give props to the guys at Plantation Boat Mart and Sea Hunter for their support after not being able to reach my local mechanic who had done the last service) we come to the conclusion that the lift pump is bad and there is NO WAY to fix that one on the dock in Bimini. FREAKING BANANA! We make the decision to cross back on one engine since it was so nice out and the weather was so calm. We figure we can just cruise back and enjoy the day. About 6 miles out of Bimini this one little black cloud drifts over the boat (as if there had not already been one there all weekend) and followed us nearly the entire way home. Speaking of the ride home- we had one good bite the entire way- My buddy from Michigan brought the fish to the boat and it was one of the biggest Skip Jack's I had ever seen. Needless to say my buddy from Michigan was excited about it so I decided to boat it for a picture. I grabbed the leader which then instantly broke in my hand. Not only did I loose the fish, but I lost a $30 Black Bart

So I don't know if anyone has questioned whether or not there is really a curse to having a banana on board you boat, but I have become a firm believer. If anyone knows of any anti banana curse rituals please share!!!

BTW- If you ever see this guy near your boat or if he shows up to fish with you, make sure you remind him- NO BANANAS!!

Dont blame the slow fishing on bananas it was slow up and down the line. We only caught 2 wahoo and 1 king..however the deep drop was really good got alot of nice queens, mistic and silkys.

The most I saw was one boat with 5

As for the other events...I dont know what to tell you

Great story and I am sold on the banana as the culprit!

Now while I did not have a banana in my boat nor did I make a crossing I did spend last week in Chicago for work and can agree with you it is GREAT to be back in South Florida!
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

Well i think that the banana has to be totally removed from the boat and it seem that your friend ate it and he was on the boat unless you had him eat enough laxatives to totally clear him of the banana it traveled with you for a couple day my suggestion is next time if there is any doubt he is staying dock side this way the only one you can blame for the poor fishing are the rest of the guys

Quote Originally Posted by rustyato View Post
    Great story and I am sold on the banana as the culprit!

Now while I did not have a banana in my boat nor did I make a crossing I did spend last week in Chicago for work and can agree with you it is GREAT to be back in South Florida!
    Our main manufacturer sent us up last week too. Nothing like a meeting in Chicago in January! When the wind was cutting through me in single digit temps, I would have loved to be banana-cursed in Bimini

At least you had favorable weather for your engine troubles, that's something we all hope for when that day comes.

Not defending the banana, but it could be worse right?
    -----------------------------------
    Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec

Great story , no bananas on the boat ! Glad you all made it back safe , just another reason to go back !

You must have a bump on your head the size of a banana after hitting the wall that many times

Bananas were removed from Fruit of the Loom for a reason......

All jokes aside- It was still a great weekend. We had two of the most fun nights at the Big Game club that i have ever had. For all its trials and tribulations it was a very fun weekend with a very easy scapegoat.

ive caught 500 hundred pounds of mangrove with a dozen bananas on the boat... plus i spearfish with bananas so i dont cramp up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast