Kayak Sailfish off Dania 1/29/12

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kayak Sailfish off Dania 1/29/12

Well, where do I begin. How about, no one was up for Pompano and the second I walked out the door I saw lightning...solo trip and lightning. Well a few months ago I had a BAD run-in with a hammerhead and will only go solo on nice days when there are fellow boaters in the sea. Today was not that day. I saw the storm was pushing east and wouldn't be a problem. But, I knew Rob was heading out of Dania. But, no bait in Dania.

Ran to the bait shop here in Pompano, picked up some live bait and hauled arse to Dania. Didn't get there till around 640 launched round 7...way late launch. After some work finally met up with Rob and Chad round 300' of water. They had a spanish and a bonnie by then. Third drop down, hook up with a nice 12# Almaco that said a big FU to me as I reached for him and went down yonder.

We moved north in a hurry was past the inlet in no time and decided to head in some to shoot south. Made it to 150' round the marker bouy and tossed in a livie to troll back. Rob saw some slashing, I opened the bail and let some line out. (BTW 50#Flouro, 4/0 hook) Got a tug, felt like a stinkin remora, tug, hook set, and JUMP!!! I don't care if I catch 100 more of these creatures...It's still awesome.

Was nice to meet ya Chad and great to fish with ya again Rob, thanks for the shots and video brother! As for Craig...I HATE YOU!!! (Not really) But, if it weren't for you this fish would be on the grill! You don't need a HMS Permit to bring a sail back to land, as long as you're in FL water and it's of size. Unfortunately for me, I found out when I got home, But, I'm sure the fish is happy...till next time! Here's a few shots, felt good to finally get out again...

Attachment 19106Attachment 19107Attachment 19108Attachment 19109
    Last edited by Saltysack; 01-30-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Put date in title...

Islamorada Spring/Summer - Lauderdale Fall/Winter
    OK...I'm IMPRESSED!!!!

uh yeah, im a little impressed with the kayak movement. A few months ago on a trip out of Boca Inlet, I battled through a series of breakers to get out. me and the two other guys on board were soaked from spray coming over the bow. as soon as we get out the inlet there is an older dude in a kayak off of the starboard bow, trolling two lines and cruising along like everything was cool.

Yeah...that's how we roll baba...when the seas are rough, less people peein in the pool ya know! And ususally it's more experienced boaters out in those conditions that you don't have to worry about your weekend warriors swiggin a brew as he's cruisin right over the top of you. Plus you'd be amazed at how a yak just rolls with the waves and you're not being knocked around by em.

Wow! You got more balls than I do! Nice sail!

Great job, always cool to see larger fish taken from a 'yak.

Salty..congrats on the catch.

I gotta ask though, what was the "BAD" run in with the hammerhead. When i go, i go out of pompano as well. I don't go as often as I would like because I usually cant convince someone to head out. I have always considered going out solo, but never have. Just curious what your experience was. Trying to understand if I am being reasonable or just plain soft.

Thanks fellas...As for the Hammerhead run-in, long story short. Nobody showed up for the trip. I went outta boca inlet solo, paddling out in 70' with no lines in the water. When a 10' HH came and did 2 vicious circles (I'm used to them circling but this was diffent) and went down. Next thing I'm being lifted into the air, roughly 1.5' outta my seat and thankfully was able to land on my kayak when I came down. After my heart finally calmed down I continued on, but, nearly sold my shi+ after that trip. Took me a while to get back out on a solo trip

Great job out there! Thanks for sharing it with us...

Geez that is something special.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast