Key West Flats - Tarpon, Permit and Barracudas

Florida Sportsman

Key West Flats - Tarpon, Permit and Barracudas

With mostly exceptional weather last week and a new moon, we had some great days on the flats of Key West last week. Tarpon made an appearance in some of the channels and I found some laid up tarpon in shallow water about mid week. Permit fishing was really good, though the catching part was a little tricky. We got one on a crab, but I witnessed and heard from other guides of permit not eating live crabs. It does happen every great once in a while. We tried our hand with the fly rod, and as what usually happens with permit on fly, lots of close calls, but couldn't seal the deal. Surprisingly, I only found one school of bonefish. I was confident all week I would see more, but it just didn't happen. We got a few big barracudas with one exceeding 20 pounds and all the jacks one could ever want.

Looks like we have a couple days of wind coming, but it is still warm. The flats around Key West should continue to produce some great stories this week.

Also, the second annual Cuda Bowl will take place this weekend, Feb. 3rd & 4th. The captain's meeting will be held at The Angling Company Thursday evening Feb. 2nd. Hope to see some of you there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key West Tarpon.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	19111

Name:	Key West Barracuda.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	19112

Name:	Key West Permit.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	19113

Name:	Key West Tarpon 2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	19114

Sweet report.

www.Tri-TownConstruction.com

Let's turn this economy around! BUY AMERICAN!