Inshore and Windy: Afternoon Report - 1/28

Florida Sportsman

Inshore and Windy: Afternoon Report - 1/28

I braved the wind yesterday afternoon not realizing just how much it would blow. I figured we might get a pretty good incoming but the N wind had another idea. Anyways, I took a bro from church along and we fished 2-3 spots on in the afternoon looking for trout or redfish and we ended up catching both along with a nice shark....we were using handpicked shrimp.

Here is my bro WH with a nice 19 inch trout...the reason it looks 12 inches is because WH is 6'3" and 250 lbs.....

We also hooked into a shark that bent the rod pretty darn hard and had us all excited.....

We were able to get it released pretty quickly....we put a 22 inch drum and the 19 trout into the live well before we were done fishing the area......

Our last move of the day put us on the best fish of the day. WH had a bait some 15 ft. off of some bushes in some nice troughy water and he was onto something BIG...ended up straightening out the Owner circle hook on us. Now I will admit I have been broke off due to bad knots or the fish whooping me but I have not had a hook go straight. I took a pic of WH looking up in disbelief as the line came up over the side of the boat....

WH did get a very good fish right before dark and it was fun watching....

The fish went 24 inches and close to 6.5 lbs. I cleaned it this morning and it was full of tiny mangrove crabs....

It was not the day we were looking for but it is always good to come off the water being able to say we caught some keeper reds and a nice trout. Glory goes to the LORD for blessing us.
    For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen

Sounds like a great day to me. First time I heard of an Owner hook failing! I have had plenty of "cheap" hooks break or straighten. Guess you can't even "buy" quality anymore??

Chico, I have hooked sting rays, sharks, bull reds, big snook and I have never had a hook straightened out on me, not once. Treble hooks on plugs, sure, I have had those get bent badly. Getting my line popped happens but with light tackle it seemed like it would be impossible to get it straightened out...
    For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen

I had a owner hook straighten out on me last summer on a mogan snook at redfish pass, lost it right as we were attempting to net it. Lost the snook and kept the straightened hook for the memory.