Amberjack?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amberjack?

Amberjack?

Trying to get some donkeys this weekend and I have wrecks and springs in my GPS. Which one has been working better for AJs, wrecks or springs? And what tactics have been working best?
    Optimism is the greatest trait a fisherman can possess.

From what I hear... Anchored over springs work best with large live baits. Good luck! Please post a report as I will be going in a few weeks and would love to hear what worked/ didn't work for you.

What springs/wrecks do you plan on hitting? Depth?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

Bigger fish will be out deeper. I prefer to just drift wrecks with everyone using butterfly jigs, but in my experience, bigger fish will come on live bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    What springs/wrecks do you plan on hitting? Depth?
    The old barge in 80' off of Sarasota, D9, and the freshwater spring in 80'. Don't know any other names for them.
    Optimism is the greatest trait a fisherman can possess.

there have not been a lot of quality jacks around the areas you are talking about. if you can get to 120' or better 140' you will stand a much better chance of catching keepers. at the shallower spots you will have no trouble getting covered up in juveniles up to about 24". those spots are heavily fished and because of the smaller amount of food they hold the bigger fish tend to move through and on to the next strucuture. the deeper places tend to have a better food supply and will hold the big fellas for longer.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun31 View Post
    From what I hear... Anchored over springs work best with large live baits. Good luck! Please post a report as I will be going in a few weeks and would love to hear what worked/ didn't work for you.
    Shaun thats a great idea! I would suggest that too.....lol

@Bigfinn35 get a "offshore Chart" there are several springs in the area that would be best if you are looking to target AJ's they are less pressured than the local artificial reefs. Shoot me a PM if you need some more info as this is a public forum
    Knowing is better than guessing but luck always helps!

WWW.FLYINGFISHFLEET.COM

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    there have not been a lot of quality jacks around the areas you are talking about. if you can get to 120' or better 140' you will stand a much better chance of catching keepers. at the shallower spots you will have no trouble getting covered up in juveniles up to about 24". those spots are heavily fished and because of the smaller amount of food they hold the bigger fish tend to move through and on to the next strucuture. the deeper places tend to have a better food supply and will hold the big fellas for longer.

good luck.
    Crossbones, big AJ's can be caught in closer than you think, its just knowing when to go and with what bait....... Here is a picture of an 70 pounder caught very recently on Old Barge (MD1) Bait was a 5lb Blue runner.
    AJ.jpg
    Knowing is better than guessing but luck always helps!

WWW.FLYINGFISHFLEET.COM

Now there you go the cat is out of the bag. LOL.. i try to make it a point to fish some near shore spots out of Red fish pass and Sanibel for keeper reds most of the year..The people i have on board will ask why are we stopping here and all the other boats are running deeper..After the first few keppers are on board they know why..It took a number of years to find the spots and fish the right size baits.. (and not fish the holes out)
    YOU gotta love SW florida..
    see you all at the EXPO
    Larrywitt

capt tim, i'm not sure you read my post completely or understood it entirely.

i didn't say that ajs can't be caught in the areas that the op was asking about. i provided him with some information about where his intended quarry could be found more reliably. i currently know where there is a really nice stack of 40 lb jacks in 55 ft. but that doesn't mean all structures in that depth or even in the same vicinity are holding those fish. it happens from time to time that a particular rather shallow wreck will hold these fish for a while... and then they move on.

as you suggested you just need to know when to be where. because, as i suggested, the schools will move. i'm guessing the op doesn't have that sort of inside knowledge to know when or where to be.

so.. in the event that you were asked to point someone in the most reliable depth to catch some keeper jacks how deep would you tell them to go?

you suggested to bigfinn that there are some other 'springs' in the area that are better for holding jacks. just curious how deep those springs are?

don't take me wrong, i'm not arguing. i've caught a fish or two in the gulf and i know that nothing is 100% certain or reliable. but certain combinations help to heighten the reliability factor.

if you can make it a few feet deeper the chances of catching as many keeper jacks as you want increases tremendously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast